Ian_Greenlaw

1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

11 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

I keep getting a message I can only upload 9.77mb....is that per post or day....anyone know ?

Maybe shrink the pictures may help, You have been busy, don’t forget the little felt sleeves that go on the window arms, seems to be an anti rattle, application only found one on the front passenger door, the rest must have been remove some time ago, you know that old saying,,,, “ One step forward and 3 steps back””””your 34 looks great nice work,,,

Thanks guys, I'll give the picture shrinking thing a go. These are the two pictures from the above post I missed.

Steve do you mean the thing that was tack welded to the window frame that had some sort of fabric on it or what was inside the lower part of the window frames ?

The other thing I have to tackle is the anti rattle roller thing ( sorry about the blurry picture ). This has been permanently fitted with the pin holders bent in place. I have to replace the rubber rollers as these are cracked and falling apart.

Cheers

Ian

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

CIMG9712.JPG

Actually, Steve, the second photo. You can see the channel inside the window frame from the lever to the left side of the photo. This is where that felt weather stuff was too. I have some sticky backed replacement stuff but not sure how durable the sticky side is.

Funny thing was as soon as I posted it I saw that !! I was at my brothers house and he has this calendar on the wall. Couldn't get that shot again if I tried.

You're suppose to be looking at the window frame......not the rack !!!  hahahaha

• Like 1

Another reason for not working on the Dodge was that our friends were in a pretty bad accident just before Xmas. They had to be cut out of the car. Fortunately only a few broken bones but they have only just finished rehab to get them back on their feet. Spent a bit of time with them. A B-Double Truck hit them head on. Unlicenced, over .05 and on Ice. Model citizen ! As soon as this happened I went out with my daughter and we bought her a safer car than that she was driving. If your trying to guess what car it is, it was a new Toyota RAV 4.

Resized_FF9D9B27-(1).jpeg

Ok, so I went to see a guy who sells a small amount of channel etc and I bought some from him. I fits perfectly in the straight part of the frame but not the top and curved part. I've decided to use the channel on one side and felt on the other two sides. Did a temp fitting and everything seems to be ok. I used the same black polyurethane by running a thick bead down the core of the frame channel then a thinner bead on each side and pressed the felt channel in place. I then used the felt strip and doing the same procedure I forced it into the frame but this side I used the old vent window glass as a template to hold the felt in and then clamped it. It will have to wait a week to completely cure then I can see how well it went.

Cheers

Ian

CIMG1556.JPG

CIMG1557.JPG

CIMG1554.JPG

CIMG1555.JPG

CIMG1558.JPG

CIMG1559.JPG

CIMG1560.JPG

CIMG1561.JPG

IMG_3660.jpg

These are some photos of the old original frames. You can see the old weatherstrip on the out side of the frame and the stuff on the inside of the frame as well. Has anyone replaced this and if so with what ?

Also are a few pics of the anti rattle rollers. I believe the one sitting on top of the door goes inside as the screw hole align up. Again anyone got photos of these they can share or ideas ?

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

Attached are 2 pics of window rollers on my 34 Plymouth PE which appears to be same set up as dodge. 

1st pic is from outside looking in with trim molding unscrewed and moved aside.

2nd pic is from inside looking out which also shows the outer roller which appears to attach from the underside - going to be a fun job putting new rubbers on both.

window roller 1.JPG

window roller 2.JPG

The inner roller is tacked into place as in welded, on mine have to remove just the roller redo and reinstall, yup lots of fun,,

I've had to gently prise open one side of the inside roller and remove the sleeve that goes over the metal rod that you can see in the photo. Now all I have to do is get something to replace it ( nothing I have at the moment suits ) and reinstall it without breaking or scratching anything. If your going to repaint your car Steve ( knobless ) fix this first and tape it up prior to painting. All these little things I missed out on as I didn't pull the car to pieces in the first place.

Thanks heaps for the photos guys.....another problem solved.

I have another 4 clip fittings that I have no idea where they belong so I'll post that photo over the next few days.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Righto guys,

Who knows what these are.

Am I correct in assuming that there are 4 that they are on the doors somewhere ???

IMG_3714.jpg

Made up a wood template which will enable me to clamp the felt into place around the curved part of the window frame. Long process waiting for the polyurethane to dry and move onto the next part but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Cheers

Ian 

IMG_3678.jpg

After the Polyurethane dried I cut along the edge with a scalpel so once done this gave me a good starting point for the curved bit using the template I made. This gave a fairly neat edge...trick is to have a sharp scalpel !! Then using my template and again filling the inside with polyurethane and two smooth beads lining the sides I was able to get the felt to sit inside the channel. I used a few clamps to really compress it in place so now I have to wait a while until it dries to see if it worked.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

• Like 1

The moment of truth !! Cut along the felt with a sharp scalpel and it was actually easier than I thought. The only issue I had was getting the wooden template out of the window because along the line some of the polyurethane must have got onto the wood and dried. Using a pair of mutligrips I grabbed the wood and gently tapped the multigrips down and out she came ! So far so good. Now I have to get some felt in the two sides where the window winds up and down at the base of the frame.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

Your a craftsman Ian, face it! Hahahahaha good job, wish I was further ahead, back problems now knee problems, , but getting back, construction, especially form work is a young mans game, but I have no problem keeping up....

Don’t know about craftsman...... just too damn fussy for my own good !

any idea where the little brackets come from I posted a bit earlier ?

if it makes you feel better I’ve have 3 operations on my spine and my knees are starting to give me grief.

i actually went to see my upholsterer today to book my car in. Found out he retired....but still goes to the factory every now and then. I’m hoping he’ll meet me to go over what I need done on the car.

Ian , I ll have to take a look , look like some kind of “ aligners  “ we are in the middle of a major clean out here ,Dumpster arrived late yesterday, but maybe I can take a quick look,  

The little brackets mount on the inside of the door frame to limit the upward travel of the window.

There are 2 posts that are part of the window frame just below the vent windows that are stopped from going higher by the brackets.

They are just below the vent window and are 2 per vent window.

The narrow part goes under and the wider part screws in at topside.

window stop1.JPG

window stop1.JPG

Many thanks for the photos. Went straight outside and checked the car and sure enough there's the little screws holding nothing in !! Another problem solved. Many thanks for looking into this for me.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_3717.jpg

Spent a full day on the car today. Cleaned up the garage, tightened all the body to chassis bolts. Put the last pieces of felt in the window frames. Cleaned up the glass holders for the front windows and got rid of excess polyurethane. Ran a final bead the length of the window. Almost completed the windows now. The last shot is the original fabric covered strips that sit in the window frame where im attaching the felt to.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg