Sub-frame Insulators (Isolators)

Machiner 55

VTRex,

The spacers you show in your post are not the spacers required for the sub frame. The required spacers are the ones shown in the attached photos.

post-67519-143142031857_thumb.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, these spacers are unobtainium.

As to whether or not it is a DIY all depends on your skill level, desire to tackle a tough task or lack of adequate funds.

Either way, the doughnuts are still a good idea.

John F.

post-67519-143142031851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Guest VTRex

Will p/n 14087853 work as the back spacer for a 1991 Reatta?

It's the front spacer for the Riviera which uses the same part number for the back spacers but a different number for the front ones. They look like they're the same diameter but it looks like you would have to spend a little time in front of a grinder. Or can the entire set from the Riviera be used on a Reatta?

Edited by VTRex (see edit history)

OK I broke down and ordered the doorman bushings just to see. Also I am tired of hearing about this issue as there are alternatives; unless you are building a OEM show car but then you should have enough money to have the originals made from scratch. The doorman part number 924-005 are very close to the fiero bushings. They are rubber so they would be just a little easier to install and provide a softer ride closer to the original. Below I will post some pictures of all three, but before that. I want to say these two options will work in every position and provide a way to keep your car on the road. If you still feel you must have the ones with the bolts molded in, well good luck. I cannot see any reason or operation for those bolts. There are several cars that do not have or use them and none of them have fallen apart driving down the road. Here are the pics and a short description. post-49927-143142060232_thumb.jpg left to right doorman, Reatta, Fiero. This is the last time I am going to visit this issue (until my write up on the engine tranny swap) as this is the most wide spread and available solution to this issue and will work with no unwanted side effects.

post-49927-143142060212_thumb.jpg

post-49927-143142060224_thumb.jpg

Guest VTRex

None of D-a-n-i-e-l 's parts look like the part mentioned by Kieth_Milford or Machiner 55 that is "unobtainable" =>> PN-1626368 Cover Spacer.

So, it's somewhat confusing.

I've ordered the Dorman parts trusting that the info is good.

I'm not looking to do this myself. I just want to be able to hand my mechanic that parts that will work.

Thanks to those who have visited this issue too many times. I for one am grateful.

VTRex,

The reason the *PN-1626368 Cover Spacer* photo doesn't look like anything in Daniels pics is that the pic I provided is of the original part. Daniel is trying to come up with a substitute bushing (insulator/isolator) set due to the fact that the original parts are becoming harder, if not impossible, to come by.

Hope you are less confused now. :)

John F.

• 3 months later...

Since this appears to be the most recent topic on this subject, I will ask my question here.

I have printed off 4 different diagrams showing all the different style insulators/isolators and after reading about 5 threads I think I have a handle on this.

There is some discussion of a change in the side of the heads on the bolts.

There are 2 part numbers that keep coming up.

15677731 (superceded by 11561577)

10409029 (superseded by 11517635)

Does anyone know the difference between these bolts? I'm leaning toward ordering the 11517635 since that is what most recent posts have indicated as the correct bolt.

I don't know if I want to attempt, as it appears a failure to execute might leave the car difficult to move to a shop to fix?

My car has very little rust, but has been in Ohio for a long time....

Thanks to Keith for the step by step explanation. I saw references to instructions on Ronnie's site, but wasn't able to locate it.

Also interested in anyone who has implemented the Dorman 924-005 solution. It certainly looks like it will work, but it's the different mount system than is on my car, so not sure the shop would welcome that solution.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

bhclark,

If you want to see some pics of what you might be getting into, click on my username Machiner 55 then click on "View Profile". Once at my profile, scroll down and look at left hand side to find a picture under the label Albums. Click on the picture and that will take you to the insulator pictures.

John F.