Sign in to follow this  
wyobob

new find-1929 Dodge 1/2 ton

ev57 Would you be able to post some pictures of the Senior 6 that you photo graphed the frame of thankyou Ron

Hello Bob, I cant tell from the pictures you sent me if you are missing this or maybe its still there but plugged off. 29 dodgetruck sent me these pics and I am still working on trying to confirm things but I believe at this point that this is what you should be looking for along with the correct canister.

Let me know if this is still attached to your engine and any more clearer pictures would be appreciated.

post-48869-143139227872_thumb.jpg

Here is the oil vac oil pump on my 1931 u124. I believe the Zerk does not belong. I believe this is where the vacuum line for the fuel pump would have gone. But I would love to see an original picture of how the line was run.

post-69599-143139228376_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob, I cant tell from the pictures you sent me if you are missing this or maybe its still there but plugged off. 29 dodgetruck sent me these pics and I am still working on trying to confirm things but I believe at this point that this is what you should be looking for along with the correct canister.

Let me know if this is still attached to your engine and any more clearer pictures would be appreciated.

Mine looks exactly like this , the rear line is capped off. No photos as I would have to remove the carb to get a good shot. I can see where my vacuum tank was mounted, someone threw it away & put that strange electric pump on. I also have found where a 3" square plate? was mounted on the passenger side of the dash, which I believe was where '29 Plymouth serial number plates were fastened. Don't worry, I' m still looking for that frame number.

Not having ever seen this arrangement before, I guess the advantage is that you maintain the vacuum at all times whereas the earlier induction derived vacuum could fail on a long climb. Presumably, the system still had to be airtight which might have been the weakness which led to the electric pump being fitted. I am finding this all very interesting.

Ray.

Yes, I believe you are exactly right as to its function and purpose. It seems a little odd to me that they didn't hook up the windshield wiper also. Does anyone know if they used the the oil vac on any other engine? also what brand of vacuum tank would this of had-the parts books don't say which brand was used.

My tank says Oil-Vac Kokomo Ind. I am told this is a Kingston. I believe the wiper was tee'ed off the fuel pump line. Near the fuel pump somewhere.

post-69599-14313922858_thumb.jpg

It was also manufactured with the thought in mind that if you ran out of oil pressure you would also run out of gas and so not damage the engine.

Bob I'm not familiar with these early Plymouth/Dodge/Fargo trucks but I am with Plymouth cars. The alpha/numeric serial number was pressed into a plate called the 'FEDCO plate'. This was electrically welded to the middle of the dash on the upper panel cover. The plate was made of copper and was made of several sheets of very thin copper. This made it impossible to remove the plate,and put on another serial number, without destroying it. The system was provided by the FEDCO company and was used for 3 years that I know of. 1929 was one of them. As I say though I do not know if these car based trucks had the FEDCO anti theft system on them or not.

on my 1930 u133 dodge truck it has a stewart vacume tank.

I believe there is a strong possibility that the original tank may have been a Kingston. Kingstons were tossed in favor of the Stewarts on account of their being a Stewart service station on practically every street corner.

Kingstons were not as easily serviced.

If the pump states Oil-Vac and the there is evidently an Oil-Vac canister as George has shown that I would guess that they would belong together.

Will post the rest of the pics tomm evening.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

These show some of the differences between the dodge truck silver dome engine and the Plymouth car silver dome engine. notably the water pump placement. the car is mounted up high on the block where as the truck is off to the side.

Will see if I can find some pics of the Dodge truck engine and post them later

post-48869-143139230026_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139230038_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143139230049_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

well, I got the Silverdome pulled ! Looks just like Jason's photo except this one only has 2 blades on the fan. It does have an "oil-vac" which is plugged off. Engine doesn't look too bad so far but I haven't pulled the pan yet.

post-50233-143139247922_thumb.jpg

post-50233-143139247903_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick update on the Merchants express. Overhauled the engine, distributor, carb, starter,generator, distributor drive,and water pump. Started it today on an engine stand, it sounds good. Got 5 new tires and rims 4 real nice wooden wheels from a hot rodder!

That's all I've been able to get done in the first year. Still need the water outlet for the cylinder head and a dipstick. The pot metal throw out bearing retainer broke and since they are impossible to find and no good anyway, I am having one machined from steel. Guess I will start on taking the body off and doing the wood this fall.

Here's a quick update on the Merchants express. Overhauled the engine, distributor, carb, starter,generator, distributor drive,and water pump. Started it today on an engine stand, it sounds good. Got 5 new tires and rims 4 real nice wooden wheels from a hot rodder!

That's all I've been able to get done in the first year. Still need the water outlet for the cylinder head and a dipstick. The pot metal throw out bearing retainer broke and since they are impossible to find and no good anyway, I am having one machined from steel. Guess I will start on taking the body off and doing the wood this fall.

Hello stranger... Glad Rueben could help with those wood wheels, can't wait to see how they shine when you get to that point.

This is the first time I have seen this thread for some reason but I had to laugh at one of your comments on the first page where you said "easy to hide stuff in Wyoming".

I will keep my eye out for water outlet and dipstick. Thanks for posting pics and please keep us up to date as you go along. Very cool truck !

Looks great Bob, what did you end up having to do with the engine and if machining had to be done who did it?

I am also pleased to see you making progress. Have you had any luck finding an 'oil-vac'? Pretty scarce, I should imagine.

Ray.

Looks great Bob, what did you end up having to do with the engine and if machining had to be done who did it?

I was really lucky with the engine ,the bearings and crank were good. I ground the valves and replaced the rings.

The worst and most expensive was the carb, most of the components had to be made, dist was shot but I found a replacement &

built a new driveshaft for it. The generator was a wreck also, it is being rebuilt by a local guy I use. the starter just needed rebuilt

I am also pleased to see you making progress. Have you had any luck finding an 'oil-vac'? Pretty scarce, I should imagine.

Ray.

No, I haven't found one. In fact I would guess that they are virtually impossibe to find. I can run an electric fuel pump in the meantime.