'65 Fuel Sending Unit

kdml

Started cleaning up my gas tank for reinstall and pulled the sending unit. The gas gauge wasn't working when I bought the car and it looks like I now know why. I am thinking the small strip of metal I found loose in the tank should be connected to the sending unit (see picture). Can this be repaired? If so, anyone recommend a vendor to repair? I also found replacements on ebay - anyone have any experience with the ebay sending units?

Buick Riviera 1965 65 gas fuel sending unit stainless | eBay

65 Buick Riviera Gas Fuel Sending Unit NEW 0-90 OHM | eBay

post-64567-143139190443_thumb.jpg

Guest REX STALLION

I bought a sending unit from Vansautollc for my `64 and it works like a champ. Remember to ground to the frame and you should be good to go.

Regards, Scott

Thanks Tom. I was considering reattaching the strip as I was able to overlap it with the connected sections. Upon further examination, I noted some deterioration of the float as well. I may just opt for a new unit as Scott seems to have had some good experiences.

Thanks again

Doug

• 4 years later...
Guest Dantana

Guys - Can I access the sending unit from the trunk on a 1965 Riv? My 1963 shop manual says there is an access through the trunk but I cannot find it on my 65.

Thanks. 

I had to swap out mine, I installed a 63-64 by mistake.   We were able to loosen the muffler connections and swing the muffler out of the way without removing it and then dropping the tank.  I did it with a floor jack and about 1/4 tank of gas.  I did have a helper.  Took me about an hour and half.

If you're installing a new sending unit make sure it's correct.  I know that the 63 uses a 45 ohm sender, and the 64 and 65 use a 90 ohm unit. Make sure the person selling the new one to you knows what he has in hand.  Dropping the tank is not hard but it's time consuming.

You can easily check the sending unit with it in the car.  Disconnect the wire going to it, the disconnect is behind the license plate.   Hook up your meter checking for Ohms between the wiring going to the tank and the body.  Based off the amount of fuel in the tank you will see anywhere from 0-90 ohms, the higher the fuel the higher the resistance.   You can actually use a long thin rod and with a flashlight see the probe in the tank and use the rod to move it up and down.

Before you install the repro sending unit, plug it in and ground it and move the float up and down and make sure it

reads properly. Every repro sending unit I've ever purchased didn't read right. they do stuff like read 3/4 when they are full. be sure to

test it before installing

Guest onedesertdog
2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Before you install the repro sending unit, plug it in and ground it and move the float up and down and make sure it

reads properly. Every repro sending unit I've ever purchased didn't read right. they do stuff like read 3/4 when they are full. be sure to

test it before installing

My repro reads 3/4 when full also........but that's 3/4 more than it read before, lol

1 hour ago, onedesertdog said:

My repro reads 3/4 when full also........but that's 3/4 more than it read before, lol

Mine too, but like he said it didnt read anything before....so Im better off.  I did Ohms check mine and it did read 0-90.  I think its more a problem of the bending of the armature, so when the float is all the way up the arm doesnt have the resistor at 90.  Ive debated about bending it to get better readings.

One thing that I did that really helped was adding a dedicated ground wire to the sending unit.  As is, the sender is grounded only by the contact the tank and lines make with the chassis. As theses get dirty and corroded, the ground weakens.  Just put an eyelet on a wire and attach it using one of the screws that mount the sender.  Attach an eyelet to the other end and drill a new hole in the floor pan.  You'll have new wire and fresh sheet metal to complete the ground.

Tom, thanks for the clarification on which years have which senders. 

Ed 

• 2 years later...

My 65 sending unit works well, but I noticed the thin strip is partially cracked. Has anyone tried to solder the strip together. Also, I need a new gasket, does anyone sell just the gasket? Thanks for any help.