Help with 1951 Roadmaster Rear Brake Drums

Guest timinbovey

Guest timinbovey

I'll TRY to make this brief.

I purchased all new brake parts for our 1951 Roadmaster (See "bringing Dad's 1951 Roadmaster Back" or whatever it's called for the rest of the car story in the Me and my Buick section -- lots of groovy old pics -- Dad is the original one owner car -- until he passed it on to me two months ago)

I received two new rear brake drums from Kanter Auto. After having replaced the entire brake system, I went to install the brake drums, and discovered that when they are

bolted in place, they are up against the backing plate tightly, and won't even turn. Investigation shows, when compared to the original drums, they are 1/4 inch wider than the original drums.

I imagine this is the trouble. After a go-round for a week with Kanter, where they insisted my car had 2 1/2 inch shoes, and these were the right drums (I finally convinced them they were wrong about that, the car clearly has 2 1/4 inch shoes, and this is clearly stated in the shop manual, as well as being what I removed from the car). They FINALLY told me I could return the drums for a refund (I don't know if that will include return shipping -- trying to talk with anyone in customer service is nearly impossible) but are INSISTING that these are the correct brake drums. I said I would PREFER to exchange for the right drums, but they insist these ARE the right drums. They clearly are not. Unless they are not supposed to rotate because they're tight against the backing plate! (I had actually thought they were tight against the shoes inside, at first)

I've been buying parts from Kanter since 1975 and have never had an issue, and have never had to contact "customer service" which basically amounts to constant voice mails "I'm either on another line or away from my desk" so I emailed.... short replies that insist I'm wrong and the drums should fit. Well, they don't. I sent him the photo below to show their new drum next to an original, showing it's 1/4 inch wider. He still insists it should fit. The part number they sent me is a BD 2010. Anyone know if this will really fit something? Like maybe another Buick? Due to the fact that these weigh a ton and will cost a fortune to send back, I'm tempted to just hang on to them if maybe someone wants to buy 'em cheap -- I'd probably come out closer to even, by the time I account for shipping to me originally, return shipping, and shipping for something different. I'll be calling Bobs.

Tim in Bovey

. . . . . trying to talk with anyone in customer service is nearly impossible) but are INSISTING that these are the correct brake drums. I said I would PREFER to exchange for the right drums, but they insist these ARE the right drums. They clearly are not . . . . . Anyone know if this will really fit something? Like maybe another Buick? . . . . . Tim in Bovey

Just the facts:

#1. You are correct in saying that the 1951 Roadmaster rear brake drums are for 2.25"-wide brake shoes. (Group #5.809, Part #1326440)

#2. 1951 Roadmaster front brake drums are also for 2.25"-wide brake shoes, and they have the same Part Number in a BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK, as noted above.

#3. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400P as fitting 1942-1951 Buick Roadmaster 70 Series front.

#4. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400Q as fitting 1942-1951 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear. Why different Item Numbers?

#5. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400R as fitting 1952-1957 Buick Roadmaster 70 series front (Group #6.334, Part #1346200), that are for 2.5"-wide brake shoes, and these are probably what you have received.

Reading Kanter's online catalog is worse than reading a Chinese arithmetic book. :o There are numerous mistakes that I saw just looking at the 1942-1957 Buick brake parts list, but I'll let them correct their own mistakes.

Does your shipping or invoice copy show something in addition to the 'BD 2010' for the brake drum Item Number?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack
clarification: BMCPB (see edit history)

Welcome to restoring old cars Tim! Parts incompatibility problems like this aren't uncommon. I know that doesn't help you but be assured we all go through it. Parts suppliers are all great until there is a problem and this is when the supplier has an opportunity to separate themsleves from the rest of the pack.

It looks like you have clear concise black and white facts with Al's post. Its a matter of getting someone on the phone at Kanter who actually cares about customer service and will spend some time looking into it rather than blowing you off to get to the next caller.

I had to use Kanters customer service a couple years ago and they exceeded my expectations going beyond what I expected. I accidentally poked a hole in the boot of a new ball joint during installation. Obviously this wasn't Kanter's fault. The first and only phone call took about 1 minute and they sent me a new boot at their cost including shipping.

You absolutely should NOT have to pay for return shipping. The struggle you are having is unfortunate but keep up the pressure. All it will take is to get the right person on the phone who has common sense.

Good Luck

• 4 months later...
Just the facts:

#1. You are correct in saying that the 1951 Roadmaster rear brake drums are for 2.25"-wide brake shoes. (Group #5.809, Part #1326440)

#2. 1951 Roadmaster front brake drums are also for 2.25"-wide brake shoes, and they have the same Part Number in a BUICK MASTER CHASSIS PARTS BOOK, as noted above.

#3. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400P as fitting 1942-1951 Buick Roadmaster 70 Series front.

#4. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400Q as fitting 1942-1951 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear. Why different Item Numbers?

#5. Kanter's online catalog lists their Item # 0400R as fitting 1952-1957 Buick Roadmaster 70 series front (Group #6.334, Part #1346200), that are for 2.5"-wide brake shoes, and these are probably what you have received.

Reading Kanter's online catalog is worse than reading a Chinese arithmetic book. :o There are numerous mistakes that I saw just looking at the 1942-1957 Buick brake parts list, but I'll let them correct their own mistakes.

Does your shipping or invoice copy show something in addition to the 'BD 2010' for the brake drum Item Number?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Al, What group number/part number, and size, is the 52-57 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear brake drums?

Thanks! John

In the 1990's I had a 1956 Olds that I did a brake job on. That car had rear brake drums that were made in two pieces. one was damaged and needed replacement. Similar to the Buick, it had a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and a width of over 2". I did a little scouting around and found a common '67 rear drum had the same measurements. The only difference was a flare around the perimeter that was a splash shield of sorts.

I took a nice '67 Olds drum to a machine shop and they skinned the flange off in a lathe. I was good to go for about 50 bucks. That 2.25 drum should have an obtainable newer application somewhere. I actually came out with a better drum.

Bernie

Al, What group number/part number, and size, is the 52-57 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear brake drums?

Thanks! John

My 1928-1954 BUICK MASTER PARTS CHASSIS BOOK shows that 1952, 1953, and 1954 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear brake drums are the same as the 1951's as addressed in my Post #3 above.....Group #5.809, Part #1326440, for 2.25"-wide brake shoes.

I do not have any reference material showing Buick Group and Part numbers for 1955-1957 Buick Roadmaster 70 series rear brake drums.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)