'90 Triple Burgundy convertible for sale

Guest crtnrds

Original color show quality repaint done about 3 years ago. Top is original and in fair condition; has glass rear window. Interior has no tares but shows some wear in drivers seat. No "Reatta" issues with this car. Looks great & runs great with 139,000 miles. Wheels & caps in good condition with newer tires. I have more pics but I could not add them for some reason.

post-45307-143139189579_thumb.jpg

Edited by crtnrds (see edit history)

Barney, here is a picture of my triple Burgundy convert with the top up. The spooked wheels are not included in my asking price of $6500 but could be included for an additional $1500 including the Vogue tires in about. 75% new condition

post-45307-143139191515_thumb.jpg

I took a picture but it is barely legible & I don't seem to be able to upload it as there are already 10 pics in my "file upload manager" & won't let me upload any more & I d

on't know how to delete any. As you may have guessed, I'm not very computer literate.post-45307-143139191889_thumb.jpg

That's what it looks like to me too. I'd like to know the story on this; the burgundy top looks 22 years old. Maybe it was a dealer install??

Yikes, Burg/Burg/White is not an attractive combination. I wonder how this was allowed to leave the Craft Centre. Could Reattas be special ordered or were they take it as it is?

I would think a Burgandy convertible would get a tan top.

Like the pinstripe color, the customer/dealer could specify any top color with any body/interior combination. If it was an odd color combination the Central Office would probably contact the dealer and verify the order. It is unlikely that an order from the dealer would go directly to the assembly plant without several people/functions checking the content.

A Burgandy convertible could be ordered with Tan, Grey, or Red (burgandy) interior and a Tan, Black or White top. As noted earlier, the red (burgandy) top was shown as available in the 1990 Product Manual, but for some reason the silver car pictured is the only know red top that was installed at the Craft Centre. This top color issue has been discussed online and at BCA meeting among Reatta Div members and judges and their opinion is a 1990 convertible would not be docked points for a "correct" red or blue top because they were listed in the Product Manual. However, they were not listed in the 1991 Product Manual and a blue or red top would become a judging issue.

The SPL on this Burgandy convertible list 11T which would be a white top. There is a good possibility that some (big) Buick dealer might replace the top to sell a car. I suspect that if a customer came in and said " I'll buy that car but don't like the white top" the dealer

could probably replace it. They could probably do it in 1990 for $500 or less and would have a new, spare white top to put in inventory.

Please post the last 6 digits of the vin number and I may be able to determine the dealer that sold the car.

According to compnine.com, there were 49 garnet red exterior + interior convertibles made in 1990. When one adds in the 11T "white vinyl" top option, the number drops to 42. When one adds in 11A (white accent stripe - which this car also does not have), the number drops again to 34. At least for the cars that compnine knows about.

I wonder if the Craft Centre didn't have a RPO code for the red cloth top, so just used 11T instead. It also begs the question of who has seen another garnet red/garnet red convertible - and what top it came from the factory with? Almost seems like there should be 41 others that would also have the red cloth top. I'd imagine the other 7 are black - as that would look better than white or tan.

It would be really neat if this was, in fact, a factory supplied red cloth top!

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

One document says there were a total of 117 Burgundy 1990 convertibles built, that would include all interior colors.

I did a manual scan of the 1990 database and found 46 Burgundy/burgundy convertibles, that document does not give top color.

The cars shown above appears to be vin 906446 if that is correct, the car was shipped to Bob Daniels in Columbus OH

Also, the 1990 Product Manual list the red/burgundy cloth top as code 76T, that would indicate there was a code for the burgundy top.

One document says there were a total of 117 Burgundy 1990 convertibles built, that would include all interior colors.

The compnine database knows about 119 garnet red convertibles. (Compnine knows about 8429 total 1990 Reattas, with 2166 of them being convertibles.)

I did a manual scan of the 1990 database and found 46 Burgundy/burgundy convertibles, that document does not give top color.

The cars shown above appears to be vin 906446 if that is correct, the car was shipped to Bob Daniels in Columbus OH

Yes. The compnine data exactly matches the service parts label photo above. 11T for top color, and 11A for the pinstripe.

Also, the 1990 Product Manual list the red/burgundy cloth top as code 76T, that would indicate there was a code for the burgundy top.

A great mystery indeed!

As we already know, Compnine is a pretty good guide but not real accurate when you do the rarity search.

As you noted, they show 8429 total 1990 Reattas but GM records indicated 8515 ( 6,383 coupes + 2,132 convertibles)

How or why they have the incorrect total built is unknown but it affects the numbers when you do the rarity search.

Their total car count is off 86 vehicles or roughly 1%.

They have similar errors on other years of production.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crtnrds

I read the other day on this forum something about Reatta prices & how they seem to be going down, Bad news....for all of us interested in selling. I know my asking price of $6500 is a bit high (although I have more $ in it) but I thought I'd leave some negotiating room. Where would you think this car would realistically sell?

I read the other day on this forum something about Reatta prices & how they seem to be going down, Bad news....for all of us interested in selling. I know my asking price of $6500 is a bit high (although I have more $ in it) but I thought I'd leave some negotiating room. Where would you think this car would realistically sell?

Keep in mind with the high mileage, you're not attracting a collector. And whatever money you have in the car is money you lose. Customer really couldn't care less other then whatever improvements you made is his to gain from. Your customer most likely is someone looking for a 2 seater convertible for enjoyment on weekends. Your customer may also be looking at the Allante or a MB SL and he's shopping for value, value, value.

With that said (and it would help me seeing more pictures of the car), you should put the original wheels on the car when presenting it for sale. Asking $6,500 and saying the wheels and tires are excluded is like selling someone a hamburger from 5 Guys but telling them you are replacing the patty with one from McDonalds.

As for your asking price, $6,000 range sounds right for what you've disclosed. It is very much a buyers market (and will be for awhile) and don't be surprised if it takes 6+ months for the car to sell - maybe longer as we're into fall heading into winter. If you want the car to sell quickly, put it on eBay with a $6,000 reserve price. Hemmings, Autotrader, etc will be of little help other than emptying your wallet. 98% of those buyers want a collectable car with very low mileage and *I* don't think there's much love for the Reatta on those sites.

I would put the original wheels back on. Any aftermarket wheels are open to personal interpretation as to whether they add or devalue the car.

To Bushwack's point, look at my footer. I own a 1990 Reatta convertible and a 1972 Mercedes Benz 350SL, both cars he mentioned as competition for the weekend cruiser dollar car.

I agree that the market is someone with some disposable income who wants to enjoy an extra measure of life through a total unnecessary vehicle purchase. They are looking for value, which translates to being able to get in just such a car and not have to immediately drop a lot of money for mechanicals and cosmetics.

I would just suck it up and go with an ebay auction, and keep running and updating your local Craigs List ads. Remember that people want to know about the car. Seems simple, but I can't tell you how many times I have seen Craigs List ads with one line of meaningless information.

...on a website that's free! Same with ebay, too much minimal information and lack of photos. I don't track ebay too much anymore but it seems like everytime I do Reatta convertibles have multiple bids and activity.

Start at your requested prices on both marketplaces and drop them a little each week until sold, then you will know the market price for your Reatta.

Reatta pricing is not necessarily going down, it has reached market correction presently.

The question best asked is would it go up? Most believe the surplus of "used cars" needs to go away before the remaining Reattas will see an increase in collector based pricing increases.

I bought my Vert in August. Originally it was listed for $6,800 and it was for sale at that price for over a year with only 1 person coming to look at it prior to me. They dropped the price over $1,000 and got me to come look at it. It had a lot fewer miles, 87K, than yours. While it was in generally excellent shape it needed a new top, an AC charge and a headlight repair. $1,500 later, all that was fixed like new. It was a one owner car and garage kept. As a kicker, the car came with documentation that it was originally a Pace Car for the 1990 Great American Race. The color is white over garnet with a white top. I paid less than their asking price and I was the only one to call or come look at it in the 3 months after they dropped their price. Given your mileage and the overall condition from what I can see my guess would be $3,500-$4,000 tops. There is no shortage of Reatta verts for sale and there are plenty low mileage garage queens for sale as well. In the NW right now (I know you are in PA) there are 2 with less than 50K miles and they have both been for sale a loooong time at $21,000 and $14,000. If you want to sell, you have be at market price and unfortunately for sellers this is where it is. OTH it is great if you are a buyer!

Guest crtnrds

I'm glad I don't live in the North West anymore. Thanks, guys for your input and advise. I'll probably just sit on it til Spring then put it on ebay.

Guest wally888

You never know!

I sold a 90 ragtop last year for $5500. Bought it in about 2004 w/ 130k miles, replaced and fixed everything (included new shocks and tires).

Top and paint were original and showing wear. The cars garage space was taken over by a golf cart so it sat outside for 2 years and paint was molding or turning black (was a white car). Had 144 k miles.

A gentleman came along, paid cash, fell over dead a week later.

Guest crtnrds
You never know!

I sold a 90 ragtop last year for $5500. Bought it in about 2004 w/ 130k miles, replaced and fixed everything (included new shocks and tires).

Top and paint were original and showing wear. The cars garage space was taken over by a golf cart so it sat outside for 2 years and paint was molding or turning black (was a white car). Had 144 k miles.

A gentleman came along, paid cash, fell over dead a week later.

Did he have a brother?

Guest wally888
Did he have a brother?

I have sold 3 Reattas by parking them in my daughters front yard which is on a busy traffic corner.

An easy to stop location, cars were close enough to roads to be seen plainly, even read large signs in all windows.

I sold another in Atlanta that I parked on the right of way at a busy intersection. The owner of a golf driving range rented spaces there till the county put a stop to it!

If you let enough people see the car it will sell.

Car salesmen say "There is a butt to fit every seat!"