Dual Exhaust

This maybe was covered before? How much horse power would be added by changing from single to dual exhaust on a 1970 455 with 370 hp. if any????<P>Thanks

Many full size Buicks came with single exhaust. I have a 54k original mile 1970<BR>Wildcat with the original single exhaust <BR>right down to the resonator

Yes, it will make a difference. That 455's need to breathe and that include inhaling and exhaling and a single just won't cut it. Put your hand by the tail pipe and feel how hot the exhaust is coming out. On mine, you couldn't keep your hand there too long it was so hot. Now with the duals, exhaust is much cooler making my exhaust valves much happier I'm sure.

A dual exhaust system does run cooler, but the downside to this is it might rust out faster because of increased possibility of condensation remaining within the exhaust system. Usually happens on short trips around town.<P>The 1970 Cadillac 500 also had a single exhaust system and ran just fine. Something to think about. It really depends on the RPM you plan on running. For cruising around town, I’d stick to the single exhaust.<P>Some single exhaust systems put out more bottom end torque than their dual exhaust counterparts.<p>[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

use stainless to not worry about it rusting out. I got stainless custom bent front to back for $500 including the mufflers! Thats Canadain so that works out to $325 American. Good deal eh?

Understand u have lots of room 4 duels on u'r 70 unlike my 84 electra.Enlarged my ex.from manifold back to behind cross member where room allowed 4 cross cheater with duel low restrestion mufflers.Have slight increased power but look and rumble was well worth the $400.00<P>84 electra Park Ave.[white]<BR>84 Electra Park Ave.[bergendy]<BR>86 LaSaber [wagon]<A HREF="http://null" TARGET=_blank>null</A> wink.gif" border="0

I am also about to go for a dual setup on my car, its got the 455 with a single exhaust - having looked under the car, it does look as though there used to be a dual system as there is a recessed space on one of the cross members - did the 71 centurions come with a dual? Also, how much bhp will I gain by putting on headers as well? Is it worth the hassle with the studs?!!

Centurianbrit: Most GM cars built prior to 1975 (1st year Cat convert '75) will have provision in crossmenber for dual exhaust.<P>Stapell is from the Dallas, Tx. area so exhaust systems last for a long time in this climate.<BR> Henry

Headers will make a noticeable difference and add 20-30 horsepower. The downside is that you may have to creep over speed bumps and slow down at intersections to avoid scraping your headers. So, in a daily driver sense, they slow you down.<BR>I won't be putting headers on my Riviera due to that hassle.

The dual exhaust will free up about 30 hp. Headers are probably worth another 20. Choose a good muffler (Flowmaster or Dynomax) to help keep it free.<P>Also look into a Dr. Gas X-pipe, or at least a balance tube to help "balance" the exhaust. This will also help free up some performance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Headers will make a noticeable difference and add 20-30 horsepower. The downside is that you may have to creep over speed bumps and slow down at intersections to avoid scraping your headers. So, in a daily driver sense, they slow you down.<BR>I won't be putting headers on my Riviera due to that hassle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>TA's shorty headers might be what you are looking for. They are not cheap, but a good compromise where ground clearance is a consideration.<P>Scroll down on the following page:<P> <A HREF="http://www.taperformance.com/headers.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.taperformance.com/headers.htm</A><P>$379.00 <P>1 7/8" x 3" collector, <B>Raw Finish</B><p>[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>use stainless to not worry about it rusting out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Stainless will last longer, but will eventually rust out along the joints if you constantly let the condensation/acids sit within the system.<P>How long stainless steel last depends on the grade and thickness of the steel. Regardless, it won't last forever.<P>It's still best, if possible, to make sure your exhaust system runs hot enough to minimize the build-up of condensation. Those real short trips around town are what really kills an exhaust system.<P>A stainless steel exhaust system also has a different ring (sound) to it, that some people don't like. Some don't really care. But, it's kind'a expensive to find that out after you've installed it. mad.gif" border="0<P>If you go the stainless steel route, make sure the kit includes stainless steel hangers, fasteners, etc..<p>[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

• 2 weeks later...

I would never hesitate to get dual exhaust, i got ta headers and 3 inch pipes with flowmaster mufflers, My engine has a beefy cam and heads (455), so I really needed it, but on a stock car there is still quite a difference. Take a good look at those stock manifolds and you will see how restrictive they are. You may lose some of that low end for high end, but in my opinion is worth it, when you get on the car it really wants to rev much easier and you can feel the power pull much better at mid and high rpm. with just duals and stock manifolds you will see less performance and not to much difference in sound loudness, its a little more throaty. I have never had a problem with my headers scraping on anything, i own a 71 chevelle with 455, my duals have an X-pipe which makes it sound way more quiet(up to 30% quieter), and has a smooth flow to it like a nascar, I highly reccomend one. I got mine from <A HREF="http://www.drgas.com" TARGET=_blank>www.drgas.com</A> and am very satisfied. I didn't mind trading low end torque cause I could never hook up anyway, and this was with a at the time stock engine