Can it be done, should it be done? horribly rusted Amphicar

Guest Davethewave

Guest Davethewave

A friend built a highly modified Amphicar from a rusted hull using a lot of fiberglass. So he got me thinking.I had bought this horrible chunk and hid my mistake in back yard. House is up for sale so I was forced into looking at and moving this chunk. I did send title to Illinois to get in my name. A year later they sent me a note stating I was a tax cheat and owed them $3500. Apparently a zero was put in mileage instead of N.A. I called and spoke with surly State employee. "Since it has 0 miles we assumed it was as new" "So we say you lied about purchase price" "pay us and than fight for it back" or "fax over a bill of sale " I mailed bill of sale and a pic of car. They dismissed the charges.

So first I will cut out a lot. Install a new frame. Than install engine, trans and all of that stuff. This will allow me to know what I actually have and what I need to get. Plus it will give me a rolling parts wagon.

The Great Race is following the Mississippi next year, guess what I am thinking.

post-74198-143139187792_thumb.jpg

post-74198-143139187797_thumb.jpg

post-74198-143139187801_thumb.jpg

Can it be done??? Sure, anything can be done with enough time effort and money. Should it be done?? I am one that believes that almost any old car should be restored in one way or another. They aren't making any more Amphicars so if you can save it, you should, in my opinion. Will it be done?? It's your car....do you have the will, time, and money??? If so then YES!!!

Guest Davethewave

The joy of imagination. Unlike restorations, there can be loads of "flaws". Which means I can imagine an electric top. A stretched version. Maybe even a Honda V Tec engine. I am having FUN. Sometimes when a hobby becomes an occupation the initial fun and joy get over taken by deadlines , suppliers and all that goes with a small business.

My smile tells the story. It has sparked my enthusiasm. It is just a great feeling looking at this horrible mess and thinking,yeah I can build this.........Than start digging through my junk to use. K car top frame , Caddy lights, etc I think I can......I think I can.....

post-74198-143139191521_thumb.jpg

post-74198-143139191525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davethewave
add picture (see edit history)

Dave after riding in "The Brown Wonder" many times and never wonderin' I have FULL confidence that if you want it, it will happen. You're a sick man like me, so how can that be a bad thing? If I could finance it and make the time, I would absolutely run the great race with you.... proudly!

I have been dreaming of my version of a custom Amphi for years too. Now if I could get it outta my head and in my shop, it would be a glorious day!

Guest Davethewave

Hagerty Insurance would not sponsor me either. I would have thought an Amphicar and Hagerty Insurance would of been a great publicity "stunt" I am thinking bright yellow and calling Geico Insurance. Or just follow along and go with the flow. So lets meet in Minnesota and end up at New Orleans. Gumbo anybody?!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Davethewave
Thanks Chuck!! Public display what a great motivator!!! A 18 year old kid called looking for work...... I hope to teach him to see the dream. First stop I am sending him to metal meet. metalmeet.com.

• 2 months later...
Guest Davethewave

I had to have some progress. The fenders are from a rust free..... I think it will look pretty dang cool.:cool: I am not allowed to really work on this till I finish some other jobs...:eek:

post-74198-1431392929_thumb.jpg