Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show 2012

Magoo

It's still a little unnerving to see Plymouths and Oldsmobiles in this show, and now I see Mercurys and Pontiacs as well. :(

This one puzzles me. Unless I'm mistaken in the background of this photo I see a Ford Anglia and a Citroen 2CV. Are they now accepting cars that are just no longer imported to the U.S. as orphans (as opposed to truly defunct cars like Triumph and Amphicar)? Even at that, European Fords are still imported here (i.e. Ford Transit), if not from Great Britain, and certainly many could return a la Fiat.:confused:

post-30638-143139192129_thumb.jpg

The Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show also allows Corvairs, which were built right around the corner from Ypsilanti. They're not really orphans either, but I like that they're there. Maybe it should be called "orphans and uncommon stuff that doesn't often show up at car shows."

It's still a little unnerving to see Plymouths and Oldsmobiles in this show, and now I see Mercurys and Pontiacs as well. :(

This one puzzles me. Unless I'm mistaken in the background of this photo I see a Ford Anglia and a Citroen 2CV. Are they now accepting cars that are just no longer imported to the U.S. as orphans (as opposed to truly defunct cars like Triumph and Amphicar)? Even at that, European Fords are still imported here (i.e. Ford Transit), if not from Great Britain, and certainly many could return a la Fiat.:confused:

Who really cares? It's just a theme for a show in a great big park with lots of space for cars and opinions. Didn't see a single person getting upset that there was a Fiat there. Nothing to get sad or confused about.

I'm pretty proud of her. That's a gutsy thing to do.

Did you know that there's an etiquette to hat removal? All men are supposed to remove their hats and ladies with baseball caps, too. Ladies with "proper" head attire can leave it in place and still be respectful. I didn't know that.

Actually, those aren't Mercurys you see. Those are Monarchs -- Ford of Canada products. Lapsed Canadian brands from the Detroit Three make perfect Orphans in my view. They're a car spotter's dream and/or nightmare, different enough to be fun.

And as discontinued makes, Mercury and Pontiac are now on the waiting list and and, after a predetermined number of years have passed, will become officially eligible.

All this said, I don't think it pays too get too technical about the entry requirements for the Ypsi Orphan Show. To me, the actual idea is to put on a show for rare and unusual cars you might not see anywhere else, with cars that might not otherwise qualify for one of the big shows. I think the elasticity in the entry requirements adds to the fun, as I alluded in my story at Motor City Garage. Link:

Ypsilanti Orphan Car Show 2012 | Mac's Motor City Garage

Mr. Magoo,

Just to expand a bit regarding the Monarch's, the white 1960 and the blue 1959 are indeed Monarch's that my friend owns and loves to display in the US because of the discussion they bring forth.

The '60 2dr hrdtp was his Dad's that was purchased new in Windsor, Ontario and the 59 4dr was his Grandfathers car also bought in Windsor but not sure it was new when purchased. Joe had the '60 totally restored body and paint wise several years ago and the red interior is totally original.

The '59 also has it's original interior and if I am correct, the paint is original also but really faded. I've had the pleasure of riding in and driving both these cars over the years and love the fact he has been able to keep them and in dependable running condition. Joe was invited by personal invitation to a Ford (Dearborn) in-house car show last year and both cars got rave interest being Canadian only production (even with Mustang's of all years and rarity there displayed close to his).

All this said, I don't think it pays too get too technical about the entry requirements for the Ypsi Orphan Show.

Just to ad my 2 cents,

It indeed is a show to present the rare (discontinued production) and unusual cars of the past. Seeing a 1909 car manufactured in Sancramento, California, Maxwell's, Stanley Steamer's, barn find Wills Knight's (two no less), Bary's special built Continental convertible, Hudson's, Studebaker's (teen models), Nash's, Metropolitan's, etc, etc, etc....... and not to see the usual everyday production past and present big three cars or street rodded cars (not against that) is what makes this a unique and special kind of show.

My 1928 Canadian built Overland Whippet Cabriolet fits right in and I will continue to go, rekindle the freindships and look forward to seeing and meeting the new attendee's next year.

Doug.

post-36036-143139193066_thumb.jpg

Mr. Magoo,

Just to expand a bit regarding the Monarch's, the white 1960 and the blue 1959 are indeed Monarch's that my friend owns and loves to display in the US because of the discussion they bring forth.

The '60 2dr hrdtp was his Dad's that was purchased new in Windsor, Ontario and the 59 4dr was his Grandfathers car also bought in Windsor but not sure it was new when purchased. Joe had the '60 totally restored body and paint wise several years ago and the red interior is totally original.

The '59 also has it's original interior and if I am correct, the paint is original also but really faded. I've had the pleasure of riding in and driving both these cars over the years and love the fact he has been able to keep them and in dependable running condition. Joe was invited by personal invitation to a Ford (Dearborn) in-house car show last year and both cars got rave interest being Canadian only production (even with Mustang's of all years and rarity there displayed close to his).

All this said, I don't think it pays too get too technical about the entry requirements for the Ypsi Orphan Show.

Just to ad my 2 cents,

It indeed is a show to present the rare (discontinued production) and unusual cars of the past. Seeing a 1909 car manufactured in Sancramento, California, Maxwell's, Stanley Steamer's, barn find Wills Knight's (two no less), Bary's special built Continental convertible, Hudson's, Studebaker's (teen models), Nash's, Metropolitan's, etc, etc, etc....... and not to see the usual everyday production past and present big three cars or street rodded cars (not against that) is what makes this a unique and special kind of show.

My 1928 Canadian built Overland Whippet Cabriolet fits right in and I will continue to go, rekindle the freindships and look forward to seeing and meeting the new attendee's next year.

Doug.

I love seeing the Canadian exiles. To me they're fascinating for their similarities and differences with American models.

I'm from Toledo so I enjoyed your Whippet. Are there recognizable differences with the American models?

Archived