1973 Buick Centurion

170,000 miles

455 cu.in

4 barrel carb

2 door

Hard top

Yellow Cream in color

Yellow vinyl interior

I have a 1973 Buick Centurion with a 455.4 cu.in. 4 barrel carb I'm looking to sell. This car belonged to my dad and he passed it on to me. He was the original owner and ordered the car from the local Buick dealership. I've been driving it to work for the past 2 years or so. It runs great --- but will eventually require some attention from someone with the know how to work on a car of this age (or has the funds to pay someone). The AC blows cold -- but will need a new fan motor soon. I have extra refrigerant and hoses for refill. What I have should last you for several years depending on how much you drive it.

I have also replaced the radiator with a bigger (4") one than what was stock.

The car is NOT a 'rust bucket' -- but there are places at the rear wells that are rusted through and will need work. Other than that---the body is decent with a few dents, and places that need paint and repair. The biggest dent is above the left headlight. Almost looks like a baseball hit it. The other is a small "vertical ding", if you will, in the passenger door.

The paint is cream yellow color....that is really eye catching.....when it was new. :-) There is, as expected, paint fade --- but it's not embarrassingly faded....at least it hasn't been to me. The interior is in good shape for a 40 year old car.

All in all -- this is a car that is in great shape ...................... to begin a restoration job. It is an excellent driver now and dependable -- for a 40 year old car and 170K miles. It kills me to sell it and I would love to keep it -- but I don't have the time/space to learn how to turn wrenches on it. This car can easily come "ALIVE" again and be a beautful classic that you'd be proud to drive around. The 454 is a tried and true engine with nice muscle car performance. While not a muscle car -- there's not much this Buick won't pass on the interstate. It rides smooth and is joy to drive. Like I said---just needs some TLC ....

Please let me know if you're interested or have any questions. I'm happy to try and answer any questions, take add'l pics, clarify, etc. Just let me know. Thanks!

Price: $2799 obo

Contact Info: text or call: (seven zero four) two seven seven - one zero five nine<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-88412-143139185311_thumb.jpg

post-88412-14313918532_thumb.jpg

post-88412-143139185329_thumb.jpg

post-88412-143139185338_thumb.jpg

post-88412-143139185348_thumb.jpg

post-88412-143139185356_thumb.jpg

post-88412-143139185365_thumb.jpg

Pull it? Yes. The best choice to pull a 54 Roadmaster? I would say no. The Roadmaster is a heavy beasty. I do not think this Buick is designed to handle this amount of weight. Sprung or unsprung.

Guest BJM

Hold on, not meaning to turn this into a towing thread but modern trucks have a lot less hp and torque, just as much weight yet are "rated" to tow a trailer and full size car. My friend Al picked up my 48 Packard and towed it home from Mississippi and his 2005 Chevy Silverado has a small block engine. Why wouldn't a 455 and full frame Buick be fine for a big car? (Have not read the V8 Buick thread Brad noted, yet)

Torque and hp are not the concern for me. The 455 could pull a house. The weight of the Roadmaster and trailer at 65mph and a good cross wind would be my concern.

Torque and hp are not the concern for me. The 455 could pull a house. The weight of the Roadmaster and trailer at 65mph and a good cross wind would be my concern.

+ braking power in emergency situation ....

Guest BJM

Braking power? A 73 Buick has disc brakes and 12 inch drums in back. A 2012 Silverado would have better brakes because of ABS. But we towed OK with pre-ABS cars and trucks for years.

Weight? I would have to suggest that a modern truck or SUV used for towing weighs the same as a 73 Centurion. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would be willing to bet the weights are within 250 pounds of each other. MPG has not changed from a 73 Centurion to a 2012 Silverado / Ram / F150, which should say a lot.

Just do the proper things to FIRM up rear suspension, don't want the TAIL to WAG the DOG.

Review the front end workings too. Don't need any WIGGLE movement.

It could/would work.

Dale in Indy

Braking power? A 73 Buick has disc brakes and 12 inch drums in back. A 2012 Silverado would have better brakes because of ABS. But we towed OK with pre-ABS cars and trucks for years.

Weight? I would have to suggest that a modern truck or SUV used for towing weighs the same as a 73 Centurion. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would be willing to bet the weights are within 250 pounds of each other. MPG has not changed from a 73 Centurion to a 2012 Silverado / Ram / F150, which should say a lot.

Yes, but I see a difference to stop a 2 tons of Boattail (that I own) comparing to a 1 - 1,5 ton of other car of today. The distance is really different. And I'm not talking abut ABS.

Now add a trailer weight with a really heavy Buick on it - all together will be how much ? Near 5 tons ? In my opinion it's too much for a passenger car, even if it is heavy in itself.

I think that - as I wrote - in emergency situation, because of good Buick brakes you will block the wheels, but you will not stop so easy.

Regarding the SUV, I believe the difference is in the tires size - if we talk about breaking with the heavy load behind....

ps. I should use "breaking capabilities" instead of "breaking power" :-)

Edited by buick-riviera.pl
ps. (see edit history)

OK all, me thinks me will stick to my 248,000 mile '96 1500 Silverado for hauling or just drive the Roadmaster to wherever it needs to be. I was just thinking how "cool" a Condor Yellow with white top '54 Roadmaster would look being towed by such a pretty yellow '73 Centurion as this.

Now back to our original post.

Is the rust through the seller speaks of common in the area he references ? Surprised to hear of rust through in a NC car.

Guest BJM

Is the rust through the seller speaks of common in the area he references ? Surprised to hear of rust through in a NC car.

That's normal given the miles. My 73 has some trunk surface rust, only has 34,000 miles and came from Idaho. I have owned 4 1973 Centurions and overall they are low rust cars.

remember the 70 buick at danvers towing another 70 buick.folks towed the car from illinois i think,see artical in the bugle after the national,4 bufords from ct

That 1970 Electra convertible mentioned in the above post is owned by John Williams from Illinois and John set up the car to tow. John installed gauges in the car including a transmission temperature gauge, a transmission oil cooler, and air shocks on the rear. He rebuilt the engine and I believe it was bored 30 over and the transmission was also gone through. John's wife actually wrote that article and said the car has non stock mufflers and it really sings going through the mountains. The Centurion will definitely tow and tow well. I used to own basically the same car and used it regularly to tow my boat. The boat was not that big but once I had to use the Centurion to return a Bob Cat to a rental place. It was not that far but it towed a lot better than my truck did. Another point to think about is the short wheel base trucks are not as stable as the long wheel base trucks when towing. The long wheel base trucks weigh more and being longer they can hold the tail in place better.

This car will tow (was our family car and we towed a camper to many a campground) AND ... as luck would have it .... is STILL for sale!!!!!!!! Let me know if anyone has any other questions. I definitely want to see this car go to a good home . . .