1929 Chrysler rubber spring insulators

JRA

Hi All,

I am thinking to change the spring rubber insulators of my 1929 Chrysler 75. I read many different threads at this forum about this, and about the Steele products too. Once I am in Brazil and these parts are expensive in US, and they would arrive at prohibitive costs to my country (taxes are very high) , I was thinking in moulding these spring rubber insulators here.

Does anyone have a picture of such rubber insulator? Does anyone have experience in replacing these rubber insulators with different solutions, rather than Steele products?

Thanks,

JRA

I also need my pads covered. Especially the front two.

I am is the US.

Steele will probably re-vulcanize mine. I have done business with Steele Rubber Products before.

I will try to get you pictures of my insulators today. I call them spring bumpers. What ever.

My car is a 30 CJ-6, but they should be the same.

Bill H

Take my word on this. Buy them now from steel and be done with it. I specialize in 12924 to 1930 Chryslers and they are worth every penny.

They may need to be sanded a bit to fit but they do the job. Sometimes it's better to pay more now then to have problems later.

I sell hub caps fpr model 75 wire wheels,chromed and ready to put on. Completelt a perfect match to the orrigional.

610-863-6955

I got confused with the pictures, because they seem to be different. The rubber spring insulators I am questioning if I should change or not are the one at the end of the spring leaves. These rubber parts, in number of 8 (2 per spring set), are inside a round compartment, that is divided in two halfs (top and botton). The rubbers in my car are hard as rocks, so I think they are not making any effect to bump the springs. Is this an indicator for changing them?

Bill's picture does not seem to be of these "end of spring leaves" rubber I talking about. They seem to fit at the midde of the leaves. Regarding Lozrock's picture, I couldn't understandand how they are assembled.

Thanks,

JRA

JRA, You need to check the price of 2 pack rubber mix in Brazil first.

The photo above shows 8 insulators but the pairs are tied together.

Here's one insulator shown from 2 angles. When installed they are folded over the end of the spring and sit in the spring cups.

They are easy enough to change. Some like to put up a fight but mostly they just slip in.

They are not easy to manufacture and you may find it cheaper to purchase the Steele Rubber kit. I tried to make my own back in the 80's but in the absense of a good quality mould mine looked like s%$t. Plus there was a lot of waste. The rubber mix comes in a 20litre drum and from memory I used about 1 litre and the drum cost about $100 back then.

Loz

post-41873-143139200369_thumb.jpg

post-41873-143139200373_thumb.jpg

post-41873-143139200377_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Loz rocks Im on central coast nsw and have just purchased a 30 Chrysler 66 and am slowly piecing the rear suspension together. Do you still have the rubber blocks. I would also love to chat more about the cars. Mine has an Australian built Holdens Body on it.

my email is gamcgoo@gmail.com and mobile 0422552479

Thanks

Glenn

JRA, You need to check the price of 2 pack rubber mix in Brazil first.

The photo above shows 8 insulators but the pairs are tied together.

Here's one insulator shown from 2 angles. When installed they are folded over the end of the spring and sit in the spring cups.

They are easy enough to change. Some like to put up a fight but mostly they just slip in.

They are not easy to manufacture and you may find it cheaper to purchase the Steele Rubber kit. I tried to make my own back in the 80's but in the absense of a good quality mould mine looked like s%$t. Plus there was a lot of waste. The rubber mix comes in a 20litre drum and from memory I used about 1 litre and the drum cost about $100 back then.

Loz