401 front pullleys

I'm rebuilding a 401 and I can't get the bottom and top pulleys to align right. The only thing that I replaced was the water pump, and I compared the old to the new one and they were identical. If anyone has any suggestions of what I did or didn't do, I'd appreciate it. Mike

Well, try this,<BR> Here are some dimensions off two original 401's non A/c, with p/s engines. I took measurements at:<BR>1) lowest driver side timing cover bolt to the back of the balancer counter weight on both the '60 and '63 it is 1.5"<BR>2) from same place to inner edge of inner pulley groove '60=4" and '63=3.5"<BR>3) from the water pump bolt located just above the water pump inlet to the inner edge of inner fan pulley groove '63=15/16" and the '60=1.5"<BR> Wondering if by chance something is not allowing the balancer to seat down properly, timing gear hub? oilslinger? keyway?<BR> maybe these dimensions will help you, if you need more measurements let me know will be glad to help.

Thnaks for the help Scott. I am assuming that the 63 is the same as my 64-66 401. The measurements say that my bottom pulley is correct. So the top pulley or water pump are the next possibilities. If you could, could you give me the measurements from the base of the water pump to the inner edge of the top pulley and the measurement from the outer edge of the top pulley to the end where the fan spacer bolts. Thanks. Mike

Ok Mike, <BR> here is the data.(by base I assume you mean the gasket surface at timing cover joint) base to inner edge of top pulley 1&5/8"<BR> Now my 63 engine has two groove pulley with a wide space between them so I have measured from the OUTER edge of INNER groove to pulley spacer that is also 1&5/8"<BR> Also try this: from water pump base to the outer face of the pump hub (where the four bolts go in)is 3&5/8" probably deduct 1/16" if you measure with the pulleys off, I have a feeling the shaft and thus the hub of your new pump may be out too far.<BR> hope that helps let me know if you need more measurements.

Scott, I figured it out, thanks to your measurements. The peice that mounts the top pulley, fan and spacer was pressed on too far by the parts store or whoever pressed it on the water pump. So I took a puller and pulled it out to specs. Thanks again for your help. Mike