Cooling Issues....

I have a '65 Buick Skylark with a 455. I have dual electric fans and a 4 core radiator. It is still running hotter than I would like..195-210. I had been running a direct drive fan but was having similiar problems..that is why I converted it to electric fans. Do I need to get an aluminium radiator??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do live in Phoenix so my drive time temps aren't the greatest.....Thanks Eddie.....

First off I think 195 to 210 is ok. Is there any kind of shroud that FORCES the air through the radiator? Is it heating up when the car is at idle or is it on the highway?

The fan units have shrouds on them I have mounted them behind the radiator. I tends to heat up at idle and on the highway. I have recently added some "water wetter" product made by red line and that seems to help it some. thx....Eddie......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had a similiar problem with a 70 GS 455 I had.. Do this and it will solve your problem. The 455 water pump if you buy it remanufactured or even new at this point comes with a small blade impeller.. that is, the blades on the impeller do not reach all the way out to the end of it, they stop about 3/4 of an inch from the outside edge of the impeller. You need to get in contact with a company thjat actually rebuilds them( at autozone, they will usually tell you who rebuilds them) and ask the rebuilder if they can use an impeller that has the long fins. Next, lose the electric fans and put some sort of a shroud that fits properly and use a flex fan. The flex fan pulls so much more air through the radiator than a stock fan. I also ran a 160 degree stat. The car ran cool no matter where I was. it would max out at 190 or so on steamy hot days sitting in traffic.. otherwise, at stayed right at 160-170. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie,<BR>I had the same trouble in my 64 w/ 462 (mildly built). 4 row brass radiator, flex fan and shroud, did not do well in hot weather traffic and highway top end was temp limited on hot days. I sprung for a Griffin 2 row aluminum and am very pleased with the results - pricey but worth the peace of mind.<P>Good luck.<BR>Pat

PAT<BR>WHAT DID YOU DO FOR THE FAN SHROUD? I AM PLANNING ON BUILDING ONE BUT IF YOU HAVE FOUND A SUPPLIER. THE FACTORY ONE WILL NOT FIT. BECAUSE THE MOTOR SITS FARTHER FORWARD. ANY HELPED WOULD BE APPRECIATED......THX....EDDIE.....

Had the same concern with my 67 455 Buick Special. On 85+ degree days mine would run about the same as yours at low speeds or idle but would cool at highway speeds down to about 185 190. I had a 160 degree thermostat, radiator shrouded, a flex fan and the large impeller pump with a new brass four core radiator. I dont think there was enough exposed surface area on the narrower radiators on pre 68 cars to handle 455 cooling. If I still had the car I would go to an aluminum radiator and work from there.

Eddie,<P>The 67 GS fan shroud will work for you. Make sure your system is flushed well, and maybe treat your radiator to a flush from a radiator shop. I had a 600+ hp 455 in a 67 GS that cooled down when it sat idling. It never went over 185* even in the summer. I used the standard 4 core radiator, fan shroud, stock water pump, 160* thermostat and a 7 blade fan from a mid 80s V8 Blazer. These fans were a heavy duty regular and flex fan together. It took some adapting and drilling as I remember. I would keep the spacer off the Blazer fan as I cant remember if that was the one to use or if the Buick spacer was modified.