Sign in to follow this  
BUICK RACER

Too many trailers?

I can understand the problems with the terms, but that is not what My problem is . The old car hobby started with people getting together to enjoy their cars. Through the years the "hobby" has evolved into something entirely different.

In the BCA all the emphasis on the cars is reserved for the 400 point vehicles. The driven cars are given their medallions on the field and are treated like second class members. These are the cars that are drivn to the meet ,and the ones that are the promoters of the club. I have some friends that trailer their cars and they are the exceptions to the rule , as they come to all the meetings and enjoy the tours.

As Bryan stated , most of the members that "go for the gold" are members in name only

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I think there will always be a certain amount of tension between different segments of the club (disclaimer, I was a member for a number of years but am not now for non political reasons). There are those who are natural "joiners" and others who are members for other than social reasons. Many "go for the gold" because winning an award is a validation of their hard work, not a trophy in the sense that they are somehow better. Many others are unable or uninterested in 400 point restorations and just want to hang out. Others find modified or later/earlier models uninteresting. Many belong to the national club for the benefits it provides but are too busy or uninterested in local clubs. Some love the history behind the marque others couldn't give a s**t. Most members are a combination of the above. A well managed club will do all it can to attract and hold the interest of the different segments. If that is not happening blaming one segment or the other for a perceived problem and painting it with insulting generalizations is not going to help...............................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Very well put Mr Beck. I think that many of us change through the years ,and because everything else doesn't, we become disenchanted.

As I have gotten older, I find it harder to enjoy the cars as I did when I was 60-70 .

Guest BJM

I agree a well put statement. I have tried to stay on the fence in past trailer crowd v driver threads because from my standpoint, the guys that shoot for 400 points are bringing cars up to a level for the future, a stewardship position. However, I would suggest but have no proof except anecdotal - that a lot of trailer queens are restored by shops rather then the owners. I say this because I have actual proof of running into hundreds of baby boomers who openly admit they bought the car that way and did not do the restoration.

Maybe you did your cars restorations, but my good friend D.P. handed his 1940 Buick series 90 over to Doug Seybold and with the technology of better paints, polishes, fit, parts etc to "create" a 400 point winning vehicle. D. P. never got his hands greasy at all. He showed it at the Ames National meet and I doubt he will ever show it at a National again.

As I have pointed out already, few folks are doing restorations in their garages anymore, for many good reasons (time / space/ mess / cost). It's not necessarily envy or perception of greed (for me), I know my budget and I can't afford a $100,000 restoration so I drive and restore what I can afford. Don't begrudge those that are in the Pebble Beach crowd. I just believe that it's not cool to bring a car that's obviously over-restored to a National, one that you simply handed a blank check to a restorer, for the purpose of a trophy - and - as Joe has pointed out before, so that some people who may not know entirely what they are doing judge it to be a 400 point car.

I have seen National meet show field cars loaded up in their trailers 20 minutes after judging. I have been told to back away from a car when I was leaning over to look at the engine compartment.

Digesting all the comments, I don't detect anyone is adamantly opposing trailers. Just more less personal opinions. Nice and civil. Post #23 lists some legitimate reasons one might trailer. Some other comments highlighted examples of where the reason for trailering might be a little overboard to the average Buick meet attendee. Here are a few just for FUN:o.

• If you arrive at the meet two days prior to show day but don't take your car out of the trailer until 1 hour before show starts; you might be too fussy
  • If you do take your car out of the trailer but put it back in each night; you might be too fussy
  • If you have your turbo diesel tow rig idling ready to load your car immediately when judging ends; you might be too fussy
  • If you get irate and upset because your trailered car didn't get a gold senior but a driven car beside you did; you might be too fussy
  • If you get irate because you arrived at the meet on show day but there is no place to park your 24' enclosed trailer; you might be too fussy
  • If on the drive home pulling your trailered car that didn't win gold and your family finds you unbearable to be with; you might be too fussy.
  • If your trailered car wins gold senior and that is all you can talk about to your friends when you get home from a 4 day meet; you might be too fussy

Or..................

If you arrive two days early and you repeatedly take your car out of the trailer hoping someone will come by to BS: You might be OK

If you take your car out of the trailer and put it away at night because that's where your car goes: You might be OK

If you put your car away after the show because you're burned out with BSing: You might be OK

If you get irate and upset because the trailered car beside you got a Gold and your driver didn't: You might need more work on your car

If you arrive late and can't find trailer parking; You might be victim of your own poor planning

If on the drive home you are unbearable because your trailered car did not get Gold: (See #4 above)

If your trailered or driven car wins Gold and that's all you can talk about to your friends; You might need to get a real life

Or…………………. after driving 600 miles to a show / tour you pull your highly detailed car out of the trailer at the hotel in the rain so you can take your rig 100 miles (one way) to go get a friend’s car that broke down on the way to the event. A friend who no longer questions why you have a trailer especially since he is always borrowing tools and parts to keep his car going.

I am a fan of driving and even drive my 29 regularly around the area. In fact I can barely start it and back it out of the garage without taking it on a few mile excersize run. That said, I plan on doing some touring with it and hope to be able to take it on some of the prewar after tours when time and money allow. I will trailer it to any location over 150 or 200 miles away for practical reasons, it is not fast on the road, parts for this car are getting harder and harder to find and while not putting a lot of wear on them staying close to home driving long distances to a tour, then on a tour and back home again will be a strain for any 80+ year old car. However by the time I am ready to do some serious tours with this car I hope to Have my 1965 GMC short box pickup ready to be the tow vehicle so will still be driving a collector vehicle to the meets.

Just saw this post and just have to jump in. Im a driver.......its what I love about the old car hobby. I love caravaning , I have many friends with a large variety of cars and seeing them all driving down the road is a great sight. But to a certain degree I get the trailering thing. Some of my friends cars are heavily built and driving them great distances is neither healthy for the car or economical......so they trailer.Several years ago I trailered a 72 Dart that I owned to Carlisle for the Mopar show.....and I have to admit I had fun.I pulled into the Mopar show driving a Dodge Ram dually....with a trailered Dart on the back and a 340-4 speed combo lashed down in the bed and I felt like I was home ....there was no way I wasnt a serious Mopar guy . So I get that aspect too,however when I go this year in one of the Buicks (hopefully the LeSabre) I will be driving

Dan

Driving my '15 Truck about 30-35 mph which is maximum speed with rear brakes only over a long distance for a show with all of the oblivious drivers on the road will not happen out of common sense and safety. I am comfortable driving around town, but there are limits to what is practable with the brass & nickel era cars in my humble opinion. That is why I have a trailer.

Bhigdog said it very well in Post #16, and I completely agree.

Our 11,000 mile all-original HPOF 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton (80C) was awarded her HPOF ORIGINAL two months ago at Canyon, Texas. We chose to trailer to-and-from Canyon which was an 1,800 mile round-trip from New Orleans. The following month we DROVE that car approximately 600 miles on Texas backroads on the 2012 Glidden Tour, but chose to trailer to-and-from the tour.

Next June we will drive the 1914 Buick B-37 Touring on the VMCCA Nickel Tour at Alexandria Bay, NY for a tour of the Thoousand Islands area, and into Ontario, Canada. Would any reasonable person expect me to drive the 99 year-old Buick nearly 3,000 miles round-trip,........

and still make it back to work the following Monday?

post-54863-14313927257_thumb.jpg

We love driving our old cars of every vintage, but we must be concerned with the potential for theft and vandalism. I thoroughly respect those who choose to drive cross-country, and have done it many, many times, but these days have become more aware of the need to protect what we have worked long and hard to enjoy. Regrettably, there are those who, perhaps out of envy, will intentionally damage your lovingly maintained car just out of spite. Thankfully this is not very common, but has been known to happen.

Out of sight - out of mind.

We drive, display, and tour, giving the public the enjoyment of observing our cars and enjoying their memories of times past.

We may choose not to have to leave them overnight in the narrow lines of the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express where the potentially inebrieated driver of a rented Crossover, busy texting while parking next to us, can inflict damage.

post-54863-143139272548_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139272554_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139272557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)