1951 desoto

mastertech

trying to find out what year of rear fenders will fit this car. The service manual is set up for 49-50-51, are the body styles the same? I know they look much the same, also i have seen a dodge of the same year the body look much the same but the rear fenders were missing. Having a hard time trying to find any parts for this car. Guess i better say what it is, 1951 desoto s-15 4dr sedan. Looking for a left rear fender.

Guest De Soto Frank

Mastertech,<P>Hello, fellow De Soto owner!<P>Here's my thoughts, hope there's some help from them: the body itself is pretty much the same from 1949 thru 1954, however, minor changes were made, such as the change to a one-piece windshield.<P>Things like hoods, grilles, fender, and trunk lids are most easily (and likely) to be "revised" during the production run of a body shell.<P>As far as basic "fit" goes, I think I recall that '49-'50 are the same (different taillight mounting); '51-'52 are probably the same; and if changed from '52, '53-'54 are the same.<P>Now, trim locations for moulding strips can vary from model to model, as would the "scripts", if any, for V-8; but holes can be filled and new ones drilled if necessary.<P>I would not count on Dodge or Plymouth fenders working; De Soto usually shared body panels w/ the Chrsyler.<P>It's tough finding decent sheet metal anywhere here in PA, especially up here in the NE corner! There is a yard up this way that has some older stuff; I'm planning an "outing" in the near future; if I see any thing worthwhile in the way of fenders, I'll let you know.<P>Have you checked in with anyone in the National De Soto Club? I'm sure someone there knows exactly what can be swapped onto your car.<p>[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: DeSoto Frank ]

Guest De Soto Frank

Mastertech,<P>I did a little research at home last night and came to the following conclusions:<P>The rear fenders appear to be the same for '50, '51 & '52; '49 is similar except that the taillight assemblys perch on top of the fender instead of being on the rear vertical edge.<P>The '53 & '54 are quite different,as the body got quite a bit of a facelift.<P>Your best bet seems to be fenders from a '51-'52; '50 fenders may also fit, but the taillights and gravel shields may be different.<BR>Don't lose hope; there were many, many De Soto 4-dr sedans made in '51-'52; there are yards out in the West that have decent sheet metal and will ship.

thanks for your help. I feel kinda ashamed have owned the car for 10 years and havent done much research on it. Now want to try and get it back on the road agian. I am starting to track down some yards that have older cars.(xwife didnt allow that) thanks for the info. will keep in touch on any developments

Guest leadfoot

mastertech -<BR>Great storyline here! Nice old DeSoto sans its left rear fender retains place in your heart after ten years. The "little lady" exits the scene. Us old car geezers can understand this turn of events, especially since you apparently didn't have visitation rights to all the "good stuff" in local junk yards. We do have our priorities!