Sign in to follow this  
Kvinokor

Young and Eager to Learn

get something you can DRIVE. It may need work and you will be anxious to tear it to pieces, but try not to bury yourself in a protracted restoration project at first. That can come later.

As a new driver you will want to get out and have some fun. A scruffy old car can give you exactly that.

I couldn't agree more. The beauty of it is that an old car, even one with faded paint and surface rust, is fun to drive. There is nothing like getting behind a steering wheel of a classic. You feel like you almost connect with the car. You can feel how everything moves and operates. Its not like cars made today that have power everything and are one computer away from driving its self down the road.

If you can find a car that runs, drives, and isn't rusted right through thats what I would go for. Getting to take the car down the road is what made me fall in love with all of my cars and there is nothing like fixing up a car you already enjoy.

Dan

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I'm not such a reader but my interest in learning about cars has started to change that. This weekend I purchased a book on Barn Finds and am almost halfway done with it! It has me peering into peoples backyards and open garage doors even more than previously. I feel rather nosey, but keep telling myself it's okay because I may spot something incredible!

Today I found out that my school actually has a car club! Though very small and not too active (only 6 members) I showed up at the meeting today and was already asked to fill the leadership role of treasurer. Sadly everyone in the club seems to be interested in modern sports cars. I figure anything I can learn dealing with automobiles whether about present day cars or classics will be benefitial to me at the moment. Hopefuly the club activity will pick up. Even though everyone there seems to be very set in there ways about only caring about modern cars and modified customs, it's still nice to be in an environment with others my age that share the same general interest that I do.

I hope to have my pictures from Hershey up soon. I will post them as soon as I can.

Just to keep everyone updated on my life happenings..... I turned 17 in January and now have my license:), and tonight I will be checking out the Greater New York Region's monthly meeting to see if that club is a good fit for me!

Just to keep everyone updated on my life happenings..... I turned 17 in January and now have my license:), and tonight I will be checking out the Greater New York Region's monthly meeting to see if that club is a good fit for me!

Great idea to touch base with the local AACA Region!

I had the good fortune to take the Bridgeport-Port Jeff ferry to Long Island yesterday for a business trip, and enjoyed checking out the surroundings as we made our way to the company we were supposed to visit (in Hauppauge, near Smithtown, I think) for the day. Even saw an early dual-headlight Corvette (so I guess that'd be a '58 to '62 model?) out there being driven on the local roadways along the way.

In all it was an enjoyable day and I am envious of the beautiful areas you Long Islanders have to enjoy!

Aight den. HBD and congrats on the license! Any promising leads yet on a scruffy old car to love?:cool:

Guest GrabberOrangeBullit

Luckily for you, Caddies are plentiful and cheap and über comfortable rides. I too am a "keep it close to stock" type of person (sans mechanical modernization such as intakes, carbs, breaks, coolers,exhausts and suspensions).

I think it's great to have an interest and build a hobby out of older cars and I wish you luck in your learning (BTW, we are all still learning), and searching for your first ride!

Congratulations on getting your license Koby. Passing the test is one thing, now you really start to learn about driving. Good luck finding a nice car. What sort of thing are you looking for? Any ideas?

Adam..