2fit661ca

All time great model names

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2012 at 2:04 PM, Bill K. said:

Sorry, didn't see that. I'll say Invicta Black Prince, in that case. Someone mentioned Invicta, but not specifically the Black Prince (1946-1949). What a name for a car!

And park it next to an Alvis Grey Lady in your garage, and see if you have Leyland Tiger Cub between them the next morning!!

Craig

19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I will never be able to fathom how any company could market a car named KIA here in America, when every serviceman from the war of independence til today, knows it as the acronym for Killed In Action.

I know what the acronym means but I somehow never made the connection with the car name.  In Korean, it means "To rise from Asia".

Apologies if it's already been mentioned:

Plymouth Roadking...such a great name that H-D stole it.  🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

Worst name for a motor home:

Intruder

How about Bounder? If you towed a Cadillac with your Bounder motorhome you could have a Cad and a Bounder.

How about the longest: Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham or Fiat Abarth 750 Mille Miglia Sestriere

Looked quickly and cannot believe the two most exciting names in the hobby have not been named yet.  Stutz Bearcat & Mercer Raceabout! 

20181021_124647.jpg

How about the 1950-1951 Lincoln Lido?. Legend has it that the car was named in honor of Lee Iaccoa, but Ive never seen any proof of that.

On 9/18/2012 at 2:38 PM, Old48Truck said:

I'll cast a second vote for Roadmaster.

I'll third that! Add Roadmaster Riviera

Little known fact - GM's Saturn was nearly named Uranus. Until someone pointed out it could cost them the lucrative rental car market because, who would want to rent a Hertz Uranus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, knee-action said:

How about the 1950-1951 Lincoln Lido?. Legend has it that the car was named in honor of Lee Iaccoa, but Ive never seen any proof of that.

In 1950-'51, no one at Ford knew or cared who Lee Iacocca was.  He didn't come to any prominent notice at Ford until he came up with the "A '56 Ford for $56 a month'  The Lido is a resort area on the Italian coast.

The Lincoln people probably took a look at the Buick  Riviera, Olds Holiday, and Chev Bel Air hardtops and looked around for a similar carefree resort type name for their own deluxe coupe and came up with Lido.

• Like 1

I don't know that any car was more legendary than the Hudson Hornet (maybe the Mormon Meteor?). I can remember as far back as the early '50's and my Dad who had always been interested in Stock Car Racing telling me about them, and how they were eating the lunch's of all the Big 3's products. The latest re-birth came in the CARS set of Disney movies , where ole "Doc Hudson" was seen passing on his racing guile to the new kid on the block. Their relatively short lived success over 3-4 years was an important period in the beginning of NASCAR as we know it. Saw a Doc Hudson clone at Hershey in 2015, quite a car.  Anyone who has tried to outrun a Hornet knows how futile that is!

Hudson Hornetdownload.jpg

Hudson Hornet 2.jpg

Hudson Hornet 3.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
added photo and more detail (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The Lincoln people probably took a look at the Buick  Riviera, Olds Holiday, and Chev Bel Air hardtops and looked around for a similar carefree resort type name for their own deluxe coupe and came up with Lido.

And the Pontiac Catalina.

Craig

You all have been at this thread since 2012 and no one has yet mentioned the best of all?  The GM Impact!

Gm-impact.jpg

Runner up has to be the Chevy No-Va. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

You all have been at this thread since 2012 and no one has yet mentioned the best of all?  The GM Impact!

Gm-impact.jpg

Runner up has to be the Chevy No-Va. 🤣

Well, to be fair, it was inactive from 2012 until it was necro-ed last Sunday.