2fit661ca

All time great model names

I'm looking for what you guys think are some of the greatest vehicle model names ever created, world wide. Now, I'm looking for great names, not great models. I'm kind of curious to see what we can come up with. If you feel like it, tell a story behind the car as well as some pictures. I'll start with my two most favorite model names.

1. Jeep Gladiator

2. Jensen Interceptor

post-73242-143139172969_thumb.jpg

post-73242-143139172965_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Le Sabra, Invicta, Electra.............. Should still have been used today.

Type 37 == Toy Tonneau == Torpedo == Close Coupled Sedan == Victoria == Airline Coupe, to name a few. Bob

In use for almost 50 years; Super Sport.

Over 50 years, the Crosley Super Sports was announced in 1950 as the Super version of the Hotshot. I know it has an extra "s" on the end. :cool:

Yaris

Justy

Camry

Brat

Gremlin

Humber Super Snipe

Jowett Javelin Jupiter

The Phantom and the Silver Ghost

Just think, without them there wouldn't be the comic books and the world would be a poorer place.

I used to wish I had one of those Phantom skull rings when I was a kid :)

On the other side of the coin.

Not sure about the US but in Australia in the 70's Nissan had a large car called The "Cedric" and they wondered why no one would buy it.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Mustang - an outstanding name .... !!!

In one word, it almost completely describes American's love of performance automobiles.

I thought it was a reference to a middle aged women without a bra....:P

• Haha 1

Nobody's mentioned Prius ??

Al

I was just about to. Unlike almost every name on an "import" car today, Pruis is an actual word that actually means something significant to the car. Try and find a new car name in the last 30 years that can say that!

Other names that were great, but often don't get their due (sometimes because of the cars they were attached to):

Dodge Conquest, Standard Vanguard, Dodge Lancer, AMC Javelin, Studebaker Hawk, Chrysler Newport, Mercury Cougar, Pontiac Catalina, Imperial, Triumph, Bentley Continental, Lotus Elan, Lamborghini Countach, Opel Manta, Stutz Bearcat.

All time greatest name ever:

Ford Thunderbird

Edited by Dave@Moon
forgot to add the Stutz Bearcat (see edit history)

I was just about to. Unlike almost every name on an "import" car today, Pruis is an actual word that actually means something significant to the car. Try and find a new car name in the last 30 years that can say that

All time greatest name ever:

Ford Thunderbird

GTO

A Buick Skylark but how many know of the 1940, 1941 Hupmobile Skylark.

post-41405-143139174523_thumb.jpg

Cord Sportsman or Phaeton 810 or 812 we won't be picky add supercharged to either of those. Sounds pretty impressive. (of course adding supercharged to anything makes it sound exotic)

Kaiser Dragon. (Gotta love the alligator (simulated skin) and bamboo pattern roof).