1960's Ford 2 door post

Guest swelect

I think this is the Fairlane 500 that retains the big rear window, the 2 dr. sedan has flat rear glass. The Galaxie Starliner is the HT.

In an old yard being cleaned up. Will be going to smelter.

According to 90 Years of Ford (Crestline Series), this car could be one of two series. Most likely it is a Fairlane, which was the base model available to the public this year. It also could be a Custom 300, which was sold as a fleet series only as an even cheaper car, and is very rare. Neither car carried any badging beyond "FORD" badges. The interiors differed between the two, and the Custom 300 came as a 6 cylinder only.

Finally if it has no back seat (and a parcel shelf instead) it could be a Fairlane Business Coupe (Style 33), which were almost as rare as the Custom 300s.

The stainless trim on the car is hard to find. The rear quarter pieces are especially rare. It is a one year body style. The trim from the less collectable models will fit Starliners and Sunliners. They are the most collectable of the 1960 Fords. It would be nice if you were able to salvage the one year only parts from this car before it goes to the crusher. If the trunk and passenger compartment floors are not rusted this car would be valuable to someone restoring a Starliner or Sunliner with rust in the floors. Most of these cars are rusted in those locations. Reproductions for the rear quarter stainless moldings are available, but they are expensive. The Fairlane 500 steering wheel is also a one year design that will interchange with the upscale models. If you are not interested in parting the car out someone else may be interested. Where is the car located? Thanks for posting the photo.

Edited by rick60 (see edit history)

I believe the doors will interchange with the Starliner and Sunliner models after removing the glass frame. The rear quarter sheet metal will interchange with those models also. There are no reproduction panels available for these cars. The only metal available is NORS patch panels. These do not always fit well. I'm sorry for going on about this car. Being a '60 Ford guy, I hate to see good parts go top the crusher!

Edited by rick60
spelling (see edit history)

According to 90 Years of Ford (Crestline Series), this car could be one of two series. Most likely it is a Fairlane, which was the base model available to the public this year. It also could be a Custom 300, which was sold as a fleet series only as an even cheaper car, and is very rare. Neither car carried any badging beyond "FORD" badges. The interiors differed between the two, and the Custom 300 came as a 6 cylinder only.

Finally if it has no back seat (and a parcel shelf instead) it could be a Fairlane Business Coupe (Style 33), which were almost as rare as the Custom 300s.

I didn't know a business coupe was offered as late as 1960. Interesting. Edited by rhb1999 (see edit history)

I didn't know a business coupe was offered as late as 1960. Interesting.

Just talked to owner. Originally it was a police car. Black with white doors and blue interior. Tailights say it is a 1960. Has drop type rear window. Motor appears to be a 352 4v. Three speed standard. Frame is bent.

What color are the valve covers? 352 4v are usually yellow. If they are gold it could be a HIPO 360 HP. That would very rare.

They are more of a gold color than yellow. Where is motor serial number? Is it down behind fuel pump?

I believe the number is on the block at the left front corner on the deck. A HIPO engine will have a 3/8 fuel line, different generator pulley, special exhaust manifolds often called "shorty" headers and a front brake line that is routed differently on the frame. I'm not an expert on the HIPO units. If you can post pictures at some of the Ford F E engine forums I'm sure someone can verify what engine the car is equipped with. There is also a good F E engine forum at Squarebirds - The 1958 1959 1960 Thunderbird Resource

Just talked to owner. Originally it was a police car. Black with white doors and blue interior. Tailights say it is a 1960. Has drop type rear window. Motor appears to be a 352 4v. Three speed standard. Frame is bent.

How can it be a police vehicle from its day, with a manual transmission and a 2 door? Help me out here...

Chuck

How can it be a police vehicle from its day, with a manual transmission and a 2 door? Help me out here...

Chuck

There were quite a few of those style bodies used as police cars throughout the years. In the 1930s they even used coupes. Here is that very car.....notice the "economy" statement.

post-37352-143139176265_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...