Sign in to follow this  
William Rule

Dumping Convertibles

I 100% agree!!!!! Code 40 is too yellow! And with a tan interior it's ugly. My new convertible will get new paint, but not till next spring because when I paint a car I take it apart, trim, bumpers, lights, --------! The hood should be replaced. As you say, "take the hood off and drive to new hood and install" is a great idea. If I can find one for less than the price of a parts car I will do that. I was looking for a 90 parts car when I found this convertible. Now I really need a 90 parts car.

I invented class 6 "a car you will pay more for parts and being able to leave the rest than for the whole thing.

Good idea! I'm looking for a class 6 car! A Reatta {any year} from which I can take the good hood, sell the Reatta spefic parts on ebay and get my money back! Then take what's left to the crusher for a profit! That's it-------I'm looking for a class 6 Reatta. Thank you.

I think people (mistakenly) see them as quick cash-generators. More so than the coupes. They don't realize that with any car, and Reattas in particular, you have to put money into them to make money.

These are strange times, in Florida at least real estate is coming back and cars at mecom seem to be U$5-15k or US50k up, Little in the middle.

Must admit is been nearly two years since have done anything. Was looking at Fieros but now think a 6 speed Crossfire Roadster may be in my future. Chrysler label but a Merc underneath & under U$10k for an '05.

Anyone interested in the foundling ? I really don't need two 'verts and would free up the space. Message for details.

Like Marck said. Also, these cars are not becoming the collectable people think (or thought) they would be.

Yet. They are only 20 and there are still a number on CL and eBay, just too many around. Part of the problem is that there are many sports roadsters (Merc, Porch, Miata, T'bird, etc.) of the 00's that are just crossing $10k on the way down.

Like Marck said. Also' date=' these cars are not becoming the collectable people think (or thought) they would be.[/quote']

I wouldn't say that. They are extremely collectible, but you have to put time and money into making them perfect, and advertise them in the correct way in order to make money.

They aren't your standard rust-free '57 Chevy, which, in any condition is worth big bucks.

These are strange times, in Florida at least real estate is coming back and cars at mecom seem to be U$5-15k or US50k up, Little in the middle.

Must admit is been nearly two years since have done anything. Was looking at Fieros but now think a 6 speed Crossfire Roadster may be in my future. Chrysler label but a Merc underneath & under U$10k for an '05.

Anyone interested in the foundling ? I really don't need two 'verts and would free up the space. Message for details.

I had a new SRT-6. Interested in out

come e-mail me !

Not that anyone asked, or cares, but I don't think the Reatta makes a very good looking convertible. Without the top and with the soft top up it has a very bland K car look to it. The best design feature of the car is the roof line, the forward pitch of the roof pillar, and the way the panoramic back glass stretches back and flows into the rear deck is very stylish. I also think the 911 doesn't make a very attractive convertible.

Not that anyone asked, or cares, but I don't think the Reatta makes a very good looking convertible. Without the top and with the soft top up it has a very bland K car look to it. The best design feature of the car is the roof line, the forward pitch of the roof pillar, and the way the panoramic back glass stretches back and flows into the rear deck is very stylish. I also think the 911 doesn't make a very attractive convertible.
I agree with you. If the convertible had a top that looked more like the one on the Reatta in the photo below I think it would have been more attractive. I've been told the Reatta in the photo is not a convertible.

post-52331-143142255544_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I personally like the more formal roof line the convertible has. That is one thing the press always sang the praises of was the looks of the Reatta convertible.

That is not a convertible - no lower "frame" rails, bubble window, no exposed CHMSL, no tonneau.

Reminds me of all the faux 'verts of the '80s.

Back after a long hiatas. Interesting to find this thread on my return as I would love to have someone 'dump' a 91 vert on me. It would have to be 'dumped' as we will be spending all our money being snowbirds this winter. Oh well! As they say, don't cost nuttin ta dreem.

Numbers on registration supplied by R.L.Polk this time last year are interesting. Below is the percent registered ........

1988 = 44.7%

1989 = 50.6

1990 Coupe = 59%

1990 Conv = 75%

1991 Coupe = 69.8%

1991 Conv = 59.7 % based on the 305 built. If you use 247, a number that is close to the number sold the percent is 73.7

These registration numbers indicate that there are still a good percentage of convertibles being preserved.

Have a new toy so need to dispose of the foundling - see buy/sell.