Barrett Jackson, next weekend

alini

• 2 weeks later...
I see a 65, 66, 2 67s and a 73. One collector is selling a 65 GS, a 67 GS and a 73 GS Stage 1, all black on black. These three go off back to back, so it will be interesting to watch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]153590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]153591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]153592[/ATTACH]

Results are in, and it looks like folks in Vegas like Riveras. The 65 GS hammered for $39,000, the 67 GS went for $46,500, and the 73 GS Stage 1 went for $29.000. Add a 10% buyers commission on top of these prices to get it out the door.

I just got back from looking them over, these three were immaculate. The cars were 100% originals, the paint showed it though and the rear suspension of the 65 sagged a bit. The 65 from Thursday went for about 20K, it was worth that. Many flaws, molding not fitting, door fitment off, emblems broken or missing, aftermarket radio in the dash. For a driver it was good, didnt get to see under the hood though.

I took a few dozen high def photos of the Gran Sport for reference for my rebuild.

Links to Rivs that sold as of Friday 9/21. Keep in mind the prices listed here include a 10% buyers premium. I didn't see any more Rivs scheduled for Saturday. That 67 GS brought the highest price I've ever seen for an 67. Glad to see 67 got some well deserved respect. The only thing that bothers me about the car is the A/C compressor pulley is not the larger diameter used with the 3.42 axle ratio. Hmmmm. Interesting it went for more than the ever popular 65GS.

Note the Stage-1 grille emblem on the 73. Wonder if it was legit. If so the buyer of that car did pretty well.

1965 BUICK RIVIERA GS Lot 332 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

1966 BUICK RIVIERA Lot 316 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

1967 BUICK RIVIERA GS Lot 332.1 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

1973 BUICK RIVIERA GS Lot 332.2 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I just got back from looking them over, these three were immaculate. The cars were 100% originals, the paint showed it though and the rear suspension of the 65 sagged a bit. The 65 from Thursday went for about 20K, it was worth that. Many flaws, molding not fitting, door fitment off, emblems broken or missing, aftermarket radio in the dash. For a driver it was good, didnt get to see under the hood though.

I took a few dozen high def photos of the Gran Sport for reference for my rebuild.

The 73 is a repaint........and why would they remove the bodyside moldings on such a nice car?????????????????

You cant judge the price of a vehicle off the auction prices. Thats whats nice about an auction. If two people in the room want that car, the price will go up. Doesnt mean its worth that much to everyone, its just worth that much to them. NADA Guide price for a 65 Riviera in nice condition is about 18K right now. But only you know if what car is in front of you is really worth that.

It's true auction prices don't mean everyone would pay that much, but EVERYONE at the auction doesn't want the same car, so in my opinion, auction prices DO have meaning.

When you sell, you are looking for just ONE buyer, and in my thinking there are probably others out there that would pay that price, trick is finding them.

Dale in Indy

you are looking for just ONE buyer,

Dale in Indy

As stated, it's worth that to one guy. Does that one guy have some emotional need that only that one car will satisfy? What would the car have brought if that one guy had not been at that auction? How far did he travel for this one car? Did he buy any others? Was there a shell bidder raising the price on him knowing what he'd go up to? What kind of price would it bring if it were offered for sale in Hemmings or some other medium?

Would you have paid that price for it had you been there or is there something else on the market in the same condition for less money (and no buyer's commission)?

It's very hard for me to believe that just ONE buyer is the ONLY buyer that would pay that price. Sure at that auction, maybe only one would pay, but over all I believe they do for the most part indicate current values. Every auction piece stands on its own, there are no others exactly the same, not like a NEW car where there are many just like it.

I'm sure that there have been auctions where games were/have been played, but all in all auctions serve a very good purpose, and will continue to do such, IMO.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I bet there have been many times when two were bidding, one wins, but later the loser wishes he had kept on bidding.

Wow, it IS very surprising to see the 67 sell for more than the 65 GS. How was the condition comparison on those two? I'm betting the 67 was in much better condition than the 65 GS. When it comes to auctions, condition and general curb appeal can play a big part in it's hammer price.

OK Riviera People: It amazes me how many people have so much money. It wasn't that long ago when a beautiful First-Gen was under 10K. Mitch

Mitch, there is a lot of disposable money out there. For example, I'm in the High End Home Theater, Automation business here in Miami, FL and I commonly have clients spend well over six figures for complex high-end audio-visual systems for their homes. In the end, it's all relative. If a guy can afford a $10 million dollar home, he can certainly spend 200-300k for a full home automation, A/V system.

OK Riviera People: This auction reminded me of my late friend's wife. She was having dinner while listening (on the radio) to her beloved team take a pounding. She was sooooooooo disgusted , she pushed her plate away from her place mat and walked away from the table. I started cracking up because that was me with the Jackson-Barrett auction this weekend. The Western's Channel got some air play from me . big time.

I guess there are people with lots of dough, big egos, a narcissistic force over them and the like (sounds like me on a smaller scale). I also guess that's just how it is and I probably need to stay away from that action and keep making my own mud pies. Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

Mitch, there is a lot of disposable money out there. For example, I'm in the High End Home Theater, Automation business here in Miami, FL and I commonly have clients spend well over six figures for complex high-end audio-visual systems for their homes. In the end, it's all relative. If a guy can afford a $10 million dollar home, he can certainly spend 200-300k for a full home automation, A/V system.

True, I'm also in that kind of business (but more on buildings automation side, than A/V) and I can confirm that ...

The problem with Barrett Jackson is those idiots pay way too much for a car just to satisy their ego. Then a year or two later when they try to sell it again and they can't get what they put into it and they can't understand what the problem is. Nice to see they got that much for the Riviera's, but the true market value is much less.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Dont have time to analyze this stuff and didn`t actually see these cars in person but if the cars are typical nice original or restored cars the sale prices on the `67 and `73 are ridiculous, especially the `73. Looks to me like the only car that "really" sold is the `65, the seller probably bought the others back,

Tom Mooney

FYI,

A lot of cars at BJ are bought (and sold) by dealers who think there is still money left in a car. A 69 stage 1 convert I had was sold at BJ AZ in 2009 by a dealer (that I sold it to) and was bought a dealer/collector, at a price that seemed crazy high. The following year it was sold again to a private party at the same auction, for even more money. All depends on who is in the room and what they are looking for.

Here is the 66 that just sold for $18,150, already on ebay by the dealer that bought it.

Buick : Riviera 425/340HP V8 COUPE in Buick | eBay Motors