Restoring conduit type cable cover

avantey

As I progress on the Hupp engine project I have a new question. I have a number of control cables coming thru the firewall (spark. choke, etc.) that are all wire clad in conduit type metal cover. I have been cleaning them with steel wool and a SST toothbrush but the results are not very satisfactory. There is still rust in the grooves in the conduit I cannot get to. Short of removing them and glass bead blasting them does anyone have any other ideas for getting them looking good? With the newly painted firewall they look kind of shabby and I have the time to do these details now.

Thanks,

Thanks Bhigdog, I know it is the best answer but I was trying to not restore the entire car and this would tear into the dash and the dominoes continue to fall.........

She is a nice old girl in very good shape with a great patina. Had a very tired engine to start this project but I do not intend to fully restore her. However I may end up going the remove/bead blast/refinish path here, it is a shame the rest of the engine compartment will look so nice and then these conduits hanging there.