Transmission and Rear End Oil Viscosities (sp?)

GE Dictator 1928

Good day all!! I would like to explore the possibility of doing a fluid exchange in the Transmission and Rear End due to what I am perceving to be an overly laborious shifting procedure in my 1928 Studebaker GE Dictator (242 CI). When the car is cold, it seems that my shift from 1st gear to 2nd neees to be done almost like a speed shift, and the shift from 2nd gear to third gear I need to double clutch, making sure the engone speed drops almost to neutral, all to try to avoid grinding gears. After the car has driven a while, and is warmed up, it seems that the wait time in between gears with the clutch in, is forever.

I took the car to Sagamore Hill on Long Island yesterday, which is the Theodore Roosevelt estate in Oyster Bay LI. The car made it using the above, and a little bit of gear grinding. When I went up a somewhat steep and lengthy hill going up to the estate, I had to down shift three times, because I would come down to second, let the car speed up and really wind out, and then shift into 3rd at a point when the car is just about too slow for 3rd, at which time, I would have to re-downshift to 2nd and try again.

I have seen people say use 90W oil, which makes sense. I have seen others say use 600W oil for Model As, which seems to me to be way too thick, and even Snyders Auto Parts says it's grease like. I know if my car uses 30W engine oil and I even put 90W in it, I will kill it. I don't want to do that to my transmission.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I did post this in the Studebaker forum, but wanted to see if some others may have an idea to assist.

Thank you as always,

Keith Gramlich

Hi Keith

SAE 90 gear box oil is good for most post war cars, but certainly too thin for your 1928 car. You should use at least SAE 250, the Ford A 600 oil will do the job as well. Many cars in the earlier twenties used to have fluid grease in gear boxes.

You cant compare the SAE numbers of gear box oils and engine oils. SAE 90 gear box oil is as thick as SAE 40 engine oil.

regards

Andreas

Germany

Gentlemen,

thank you very much, this is very helpful! The Owners Manual for the car says to use "A light transmission grease or a very heavy transmission oil for warm weather. In cold weather, a lighter grade of winter lubricant should be used". I will investigate some different oils now and see where we end up.

Thank you very much for your responses!

Keith Gramlich

The 600W Steam Oil is correct. It is not really a 600 weight by today's standards. It is closer to a 250W, I think. Without modern seals, the 90W is likely to leak out of your rear end and transmission. I removed the 90W oil and put in the 600W Steam Oil in my 1928 Gardner a few years ago, and it shifts better now too.