30-something to stock 455

I've got an 86 regal with an Olds V8 something. It has a 200-4R, and 3.08 gears. Everything is stock. The engine is going dead, and it's very slow. How much would I have to change to put in a 455 Buick from a wrecked '76 225? Is it even worth it, or should I consider another so called rocket motors. I would like to keep cruise if possible. Don't care about emmissions.

Hi Phil,<BR>The motor you have there is a 307 Olds. I have a daily driver Olds Regency that has it and it is not high in the performance arena. I am going to commit blasphemy here and suggest that you find a 77-79 Olds 403 in a wrecking yard. A lot of wagons (even Buick Estate Wagons) had this motor. It will be a direct swap in and will add cubes and horsepower. I love my Big Block Buick's, but you will have to switch a lot to get one in. The starter and fuel lines are the wrong side for a Buick swap, let alone the exhaust system.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

I agree with the previous post. I would find an olds 350 or 403, that way you won't have to switch over all the accessories. Car Craft did a build up of an Olds 350. Using a thick walled Diesel block they were able to bore and stroke it to 440 ci!

Hi Phil, I have an 83 Regal that I put a '69 430 and 425 tranny from a Riv into. I put all the emission stuff on. You have some work cut out but you are ahead of the game. 1) the carb, and other computer devices off the olds engine will go on to and run the 455 correctly the carb is basically bolt on though you might want to change to an electric choke. 2) the later 455 is about 8:1 compression and has EGR already so your NOX emission will stay in spec, (when you go above 9.5:1 the combustion temps go up and NOX goes way up). You may have clearance your heater A/C box to clear the pass side valve cover. Also if mid sump oil pan must change to rear, I also recommed finding a 64-67 A-body trans X-member to allow for dual exhaust and you'll need to clearance the right side of frame, you may be able to bolt in motor mounts but probably will need to fabricate some. In the long run you'll have some fun with the low end torque, but you will suffer in fuel. I have done a couple neat (no hacker) installations it is alot of work. If you'd like some details E-mail me _scott.

• 2 weeks later...

it's a bolt in using mounts from poston 1-800-635-9781 part# pe70140 $79 a pair. use your tranny,it will work fine as long as you don't beat on it to much.no frame mods are needed.get rid of the computer junk

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't remove the "computer junk". The car will run fine with it, and depending on your state it may be illegal to remove it. If computer cars are so bad, how come my '01 Vette is doing 12s in the 1/4 with auto trans and 2.73s in the rear? I also had an '84 Camaro L69 with some mods(ported/polished heads,intake,3"cat-back exhaust and shorty headers), I kept the computer and wiring in the car with all the emissions equpment and still ran a best of 13.92 @101 with it. We mock what we don't understand....You might want to look for an Olds 455, it will be almost a direct swap with minimal headaches. You'd need an intake from a mid-'70s 455 car w/EGR to make it work for you but it'll give you a real kick in the pants. Good luck..... smile.gif" border="0

• 4 weeks later...

hey artie,lighten up.i don't have anything against computers,they have there place but i think you will agree the 307 computer is not going to make the 455 do anything better than it does without it.as for the legal aspect,even with the computer junk the swap cannot be leagally done where i live(fl).i would never do away with the computer junk on my 94 9c1,but i would never add any to my 70 estate wagon.lets just keep the computers where they belong,in F.I.cars Doc