Low Restriction Mufflers

I want to install a set of low restriction mufflers on my 69 Electra 225 convertible. A very loud exhaust would not be appropriate for an Electra, but I do want something that will let you know there is a big block 430 under the hood. A nice low rumble sound is what I am looking for. I have heard a 2 chamber muffler is fairly loud, more suitable to a muscl car. Anyone have any experience with this?

You have lots of room under your car ,so it may be the best thing is to put the three chamber flowmasters and a glass pack used as a resonator behind the flowmaster. This will keep the noise to a minimum and still breathe VERY well.I have the three chamber mufflers under my 72 GS and they are a little too loud for your big car. smile.gif" border="0

I HAVE TWO CHAMBER FLOWMASTERS WITH 21/2"<BR>PIPES RUN ALL THE WAY OUT BACK 64 WILDCAT.<BR>THEY SOUND GREAT PRETTY LOUD BUT FAR ENOUGH<BR>AWAY FROM ME IT DONT SEEM TOO LOUD IN THE CAR.<BR>I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT... smile.gif" border="0

i have to agree with the old guy. i had a 68 lincoln continental with a big 462 in it and i had roughly the same set up on it and it worked great. depending on space avalable under your car i would recomend trying the smaller glasspack in front of the flowmaster. due to clearence problems i had to go with the glass pack out in the rear with a small section of pollished stainless steal pipeing for a tail pipe under acceleration the sound got a little to glasspacky for me and i feel it was due to the placement of it in relation to the flowmaster. but at idle it sounded just right. you'll spend 150-200 bucks more but i thionk it would be worth it.

Walker DynoMax. I have them on a dualled system under a 1976 Olds Regency. They have the unobtrusive rumble you want and mileage increased a couple mpg. I admit a 1976 455 doesn't have the balls of a 69 430 but you'll find Flow racket intolerable after a while on an Electra. Friend put a semi dualled Flomaster under a 76 350 Delta 88 and ended up taking it off after a few months and replacing it with DynoMax.

I have the dynamax on my 37 Buick street rod with a 455 and they really crackle when you give it lots of throttle, but they are fairly quiet on the road. You have to be careful as some Gendarmes find them a little much in town. They are fine as long as you don't get too tempted from a stop light.

Installed three chamber on semi duells on my electra with perfect results.Just enough rumbble at green lights but quite enough on highway.I'd give them a thumbs up.

• 1 month later...

What you are looking for is a pair of the DynoMax Hemi Turbo mufflers...They are longer than the Dynomax Super Turbos, and have a subtle deep tone. In a magazine test, they out performed everything except a $260 Borla Xr-1 in both power and gas mileage.