Schebler Model R Adjustment Question

Well, I had my Schebler Model R carburetor sent out for cleaning (to a 'friend') and it came back nice and clean but quite apart. I have put it together but, how do you adjust a Model R? Does anyone have one of these on their car and if so, do you know how to adjust it for running? I am most interested in knowing how to adjust the air valve cap (known as A on the standard Model R diagram seen on the internet) and the adjusting screw on the bottom (known as F on the diagram). In any event, if you know how to set up this carburetor for running I have a tour in a few weeks. Assume I am a novice (I am) and that the carburetor is way out of adjustment (it is) and please let me know how to make proper adjustments. You can email me directly at edfors@charter.net.

Thank you indeed!

Tom

Hello Nickelroadster. Thank you for your resonse! I have found a copy of a 1915 Dykes and while it helps with the air valve cap it does not help much with the bottom adjusting screw. I was hoping to hear from others with a Model R to see how they have adjusted their's in 'real life' situations. I guess I will just do some trail and error and see what happnes. I will have to master the Schebler somehow as I have three other cars with Scheblers on them that have not seen gasloline for decades. This time I'll clean them! Thank you again for your reply. Tom

Assuming that your 1915 Dykes contains the same as a 1918 or 1912 you have two full pages of set up and adjustment. I would suggest that you also read the general information on carburetors in Dykes and develop an understanding of how the thing works. A little trial and error and try to think things through. Remember, popping and backfires indicate a lean mixture and rough running and black smoke coming out the exhaust means you are too rich. Don't try to make it more complicated than it really is. These old carbs are really pretty simple and what you learn on one can be applied to the others. Make sure you seal the float (assuming you cleaned the shellac off) with thin super glue or Por 15. Replace any fiber washers and cut new gaskets. Some people worry about not having kits but the old carbs don't really need anything elaborate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nickelroadster and/or anyone who can help me with this. I put the carburetor back together and adjusted it as found in Dykes. Tha car started right up after installation and on one crank. Now a new problem. As soon as I shut the car off gasoline leaks out the bottom in a stream. I had cleaned the vent, made new gaskets and a new fiber washer where the bowl mounts. I have taken the bowl off five or six times now and readjusted the float but no matter what I do, the gasoline stream appears as soon as the motor is shut off. This never happened before even if the gas sht off valve was left on all day. Any suggestions? I am supposed to take this car on a three day tour next week so I do need help!

Tom

I assume that you have a stewart vacuum tank. Are you sure that the float needle is sealing when the chamber is full? You don't say how long that the gas streams out. Is it a quick thing that soon quits or does it keep up for some length of time? does it leak while the engine is running? Be a little more specific about the location that it appears to leak from. Sounds like you are making some progress and are at least learning something. Maybe Carbking will chime in. If not you could send him a private message as he always seems happy to help people.

Hello Nickelroadster! The carburetor is an early Model R mounted on a 1909 Regal and appears to be the original to the car. There is no vacuum tank, just gravity feed from the tank under the front seat. There have been four attempts to stop this problem, so far, with the bowl removed and float adjusted. Each time the bowl is put back on it does not leak when the fuel valve is opened. The cars is strated and I let it run for while and then shut off the motor. In about two to three seconds fuel runs out of the bottom first as a drip then a stream and it will not stop until the fuel valve is shut off. After trying some original cork floats from some parts carburetor I replaced the cork with one of the 'new' material floats being sold for model T's and perhaps it is not floating good enough to close the needle. So, late last night I carved out a new, larger float from my last block of cork and will try that. All I can come up with is that the needle is not shutting off the gas either due to the float or my adjustment of same. After I catch up with work tomorrow I'll put in the new cork float (do I need to coat the cork?) and see what happens. I may have to do some trial and error as to the adjusting the foat. I am not sure at what level of gasloine the needle should be closed by the float. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you again for your help.

Tom

Yes you do need to seal the new cork float! There are a number of things that you can use. Use very thin slow drying superglue (1), Thin epoxy sealers such as West's or Smith's, available from restoration supply (2, expensive but very useful for other things), Por-15 tank sealer(3), fuel proof model airplane dope from a hobby shop (4, probably the lightest of these). You also want to make sure that the needle seals against the seat. If this is in doubt or the needle and seat look a little worse for wear use a little valve grinding compound to seat the needle. If you run out of time I would just get into the habit of shutting the gas off and letting the engine run for a couple of minutes. A bigger float is something I always try to do when I have to make a new float.