Ebay selling questions.

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I was wondering what the listing fee to sell a car on ebay and what percentage do they take? Do you want to have them pay with Paypal, or some other method? Like to hear from those who have done this. Thanks!

Jerry,

Ebay keeps changing the costs so I may not have the latest info, but it depends on whether or not you put a minimum reserve on the sale (a reserve price costs more to list and to sell) and how many photos you have. Last time I did it, it cost me next to nothing to list the car, but there was an ebay commission on the sale, somewhere around 2.5 to 5 percent. Paypal payments will take another 5 percent or more, so don't accept the car's entire sale price through paypal, just the deposit of $100 or $200.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Jerry

I have sold 2 vehicles on ebay in the last 2 weeks. No fees up front anymore thanks to Craigs List competition, except nominal fees if you want "extras" like more then 4 photos and a reserve, those things cost a few bucks, like $5.00 total. IF it sells, then they take the listing fee then, which is $60, plus a commission. I sold a Buick for $1201 and they took about $110.00. I don't like PayPal because they extract a lot. I want to say about $30 per $1000. I ask my buyers to pay by personal check, cashiers check or money order but some insist on PayPal for it's convenience.

PayPal is NO SAFER. I once took a PayPal payment on an item (not a car) - the buyer changed his mind and told ebay/PayPal that it was a fraudelant transaction because I wanted shipping costs, which were more then he wanted to pay. So PayPal pulled the money back and I was screwed.

It's up to you on PayPal, but I don't like it.

Yea, one almost needs a CPA to keep up with ebay's fee changes.

No intial listing fee for placing a basic listing in ebay motors. As you go through the steps of creating your listing and choose marketing "options" that aren't included in a standard free listing, you will be charged a minimal fee based on your selections. They make most of their money when the vehicle sells and a "Successful Listing Fee" is applied. Its $60 for final value of $2000 or less. $2001 and over its $125. The fee schedule changes for folks who sell more than a handful of cars per calendar year.

Last I checked Paypal fees billed to the seller are still 2.9% of the transaction amount + 30 cents for US currency. Foreign currency fee is 3.9%.

For example if you sell a car for $4000 in the US and the whole amount is transacted through PayPal your wallet gets lightened by $116.30. Thats why Pete mentioned only taking the deposit via PayPal. That way you're somewhat guarenteed to get at least enough money to cover your selling fees if the buyer backs out.

As far as what form of payment to accept for the balance of the amount usually a bank wire transfer, a bank cashiers check or cash in person are some of the preferred methods. If you accept a chasiers check, you must wait until the full amount clears the bank and the money is in your account before you let the car go. Or of course if you want the money ASAP you can do the whole amount in Paypal and pay the fee. I personally like cash in person. Hand me the cash - take the car.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)