VIN '76 Electra: 455 vs 350

Guest 75RivGS

Guest 75RivGS

Roberta, if I'm well informed; in 1976, due to a strike, several Electras got the 350 in stead of the 455.

That is one of the reasons for my question, cause besides a few, not well documented, sites on the www stated something like that, I've seen quite some 76 Electras (including a few w/ very low miles) with a 350 Buick engine for sale.

Hey Rob, the early literature did not list the 350 for the Electra. But the J would be the right code in the VIN. I have put an email out to the Buick Gurus to see if anyone has the history of the "end of the line for the 455". There was a National UAW Ford strike in 1976, and a few small issues at some GM plants but not in Flint. All the Buick 350s and 455s were built in Plant 36 nowhere else ever. I suspect that as they phased out the 455, the 350 was put in the later cars, have you perhaps looked at the build date on these J coded cars, might help give a clue as the when the change happened. Just some thoughts and hopefully more info soon!

That info should also be on the build sheets, too. Would they use the same option code or designation as the same engine in a LeSabre, if the VIN designation was the same?

The "build date" should be on the door post decal, usually. The last six or seven places in the VIN would indicate how late in the model year the vehicle was assembled.

Aren't there some visual differences in the 350 and 455, other than casting or stamped codes? I'm just curious if some of the sellers might have "thought" they had a 350 or "wanted" a 350 so it might sell better?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

That info should also be on the build sheets, too. Would they use the same option code or designation as the same engine in a LeSabre, if the VIN designation was the same?

The "build date" should be on the door post decal, usually. The last six or seven places in the VIN would indicate how late in the model year the vehicle was assembled.

Aren't there some visual differences in the 350 and 455, other than casting or stamped codes? I'm just curious if some of the sellers might have "thought" they had a 350 or "wanted" a 350 so it might sell better?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Willis, the build date is on the body plate on the top of the dash when you open the hood. 3D would be 4th week of March. The 350 has a smaller water pump, and both engines have their designations on the rear of the block. Where you been? Lost in Moparland, everybody should know this if they like Buicks, LOL!!!!

In 1976 C-bodies were built at Flint and Linden. As mentioned, if you don't have the build date, you might be able to use the last six digits of VIN to estimate the build date. You can use the plant production and the starting sequential portion of the VIN to calculate the ending sequential portion of the VIN, giving you the VIN ranges. Here is a table showing this info:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 339]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Plant[/TD]

[TD]Body

Platform[/TD]

[TD]Plant

Production[/TD]

[TD]Starting

VIN[/TD]

[TD]Ending

VIN (calcd)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Flint, MI[/TD]

[TD]B-C-E[/TD]

[TD=align: right]194,889[/TD]

[TD=align: right]400,001[/TD]

[TD=align: right]594,889[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Linden, NJ[/TD]

[TD]B-C[/TD]

[TD=align: right]36,627[/TD]

[TD=align: right]100,001[/TD]

[TD=align: right]136,627[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>[/TABLE]

In 1976 C-bodies were built at Flint and Linden. As mentioned, if you don't have the build date, you might be able to use the last six digits of VIN to estimate the build date. You can use the plant production and the starting sequential portion of the VIN to calculate the ending sequential portion of the VIN, giving you the VIN ranges. Here is a table showing this info:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 339]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Plant

[/TD]

[TD]Body

Platform

[/TD]

[TD]Plant

Production

[/TD]

[TD]Starting

VIN

[/TD]

[TD]Ending

VIN (calcd)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Flint, MI

[/TD]

[TD]B-C-E

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]194,889

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]400,001

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]594,889

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Linden, NJ

[/TD]

[TD]B-C

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]36,627

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]100,001

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]136,627

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

This, Roberta, is some of the information I was talking about. Starting somewhere in the later 1960s, or even 1970, there usually was a decal on the driver's door which stated compliance with all federally-mandated safety equipment . . . AND also had the month/year the car was built. Perhaps not the exact day, but close for what I was wondering about. And now, it seems you've found some additional information, too? Key thing, to me, is that this information is usually in "non-greasy" locations. Thanks for reminding me of the "Body Plate" information. Personally, I never really worried about THAT plate as it had such limited information on it, even when I was worried more about Chevies (for work). Thanks, Sean, for posting that information!

As for "Moparland"? I'm not NEARLY as lost in there as our associate Jeff is, with all due respect. I haven't "messed" with those or Buicks in a while . . . just trying to maintain for now. The '68 5467 is safely stored, for now, as is the '70 Skylark Custom 2dr ht. But, it's gettin' to be time to "play cars" again.

Hope all of your dreams are good ones, Bernie!

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Besides, Roberta, I've NOT been around any broke Buick V-8s lately, or earlier when my machine shop associate was still at his shop. Even toward the end, all he was seeing was Buick V-6s. You might have known about those visual differences, but others might not have, which is why I inquired.

Now, the loaded question is . . . is it possible to obtain the same level of production information on Buicks as it is for Chrysler products? Production runs with particular mixes of options/colors/models/engines/transmissions/tires etc? Without a build sheet? Is there ONE particular website this information might be located in, or is it in many diverse locations? Just curious . . . and desiring to expand my knowledge.

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Willis, your loaded question, the answer is 'sort of' there are bits and pieces of Buick info on the internet, TeamBuick.com has alot of the Engine ID info, the Sloan Museum has some detailed info on some of the '70s cars, Wayne Roberts has some of the '70 car info and the GM Heritage Center has some info. I have some info on the Gran Sports from '65 - '74 that I have shared with a few. The problem is most of the info is on paper and very hard to copy to make available electronically, hmm, big word, without scanning etc, and takes time and $$$. That's the short answer. LOL!

So they put 350's in Electras and then put v-6's in LeSabres. The local Buick dealer tried to sell me a V-6 LeSabre in 1976...what a dog and dangerous (would not shift out of passing gear without letting off the gas)...that's why I still have the 1976 Olds that I bought instead.

Willie

I just bought a 1976 Limited with a 350 engine code J. It has 1,900 miles and is in all respects a NEW car. The original tires are even intact, though I don't know if I would want to take to long of a road trip on them. It has had very good care and storage. The guy took it out and drove it around the yard every year to keep the engine trans well. Never out on the road though for many years. It should really not be driven now to keep the miles low.

OK... thanks for all answers and thoughts! It seems the 76 Electra of somebody here got a replacement for its 455. Although a (Buick) 350 in the engine bay the letter in the VIN is a Y