1965 Rivviera Stock Wheels Question

Foxlovescars

Noticed today when I was removing the wheel covers for restoration that the construction of the front wheels differ from the construction of the rears. My wheels are hand labeled with paint "front" and "rear" and I thought, "Why? There's no difference." But there IS. The wheels on the front do not have the same four "slots" cut into the inner circle edge that the rear wheels have.

Can anybody enlighten me on why this is?

Frank O'Donnell

Charlottesville, VA

Hi Frank,

You must have a mix of wheels. The originals are all the same whether front or rear. The correct Buick wheels have holes thru which the studs for the cast aluminum wheel covers protrude. If you post a pic of your wheels I can easily identify which, if any, are originals,

Tom

Perhaps a previous owner bent, swapped, or lost a couple of wheels. The original Buick wheels have the four slots as Tom mentioned as well as bumped out sections between the bolt holes. These "bumps" are necessary to clear the rivets on the front drums. But there's no rivet on the rears so there's no need for the "bump." Without seeing them, I'm guessing the wheels labeled 'rear' don't have the bump. I've got a couple of '65 wheels that I can't use on my '64, and I'd be glad for you to take them off my hands for S&H. They're 15" x 6". I'm curious as to whether I might have guessed correctly, let me know. As Tom said, a picture will let everyone know for sure.

Ed

post-85010-143139163351_thumb.jpg

The first picture is my '65's front wheel. It has the slots you mentioned.

The second picture is my '65's rear wheel. It has the same slots PLUS large "vents" around the inner section of the wheel.

The third picture is a close-up of the "vents" on the rear wheels.

Does anyone else have the same wheels on their base Riviera? The original owner says he never switched out or had a reason to purchase new wheels for the car.

Frank

post-85010-14313916333_thumb.jpg

post-85010-143139163341_thumb.jpg

The first wheel pictured is from an older Buick. The five slots around the center of the rim were used to hold clips for "dog dish" style hub caps. I can't tell from the picture but if the little bumps between the bolt holes are open in the middle, that small hole was used for locating a guide pin. Then the wheel was attached with lug bolts rather than lug nuts.

I have a set (2) of 65 and later black steel rims if you're interested. Some small fee to cover gas to and from the post office plus the price of postage and they're yours.

Ed

• 5 months later...

I believe they are, I got rid of some stuff from my shed and I think they were/are in there. Right now there's about 12" of snow in front of the shed door and we're supposed to get another 12 - 15 inches again tonight. I'll check as soon as I can and let you know.

Ed

OK Riviera People: The first wheel in the picture is 56 and older. No vents, holes for the alignment pin and NO safety lip. The second wheel is a 60 (my favorite year). 60 Was the first year for vent holes, still, holes for the alignment pin and of course the safety lip which appeared on 57 and newer. Be careful of these old rims. I know because I have ground the rust off of many a bead (too cheap to have them sandblasted). They are a Crown Royal Pain when they leak. And Ed, if I were there I'd help you shovel snow for about 1/2 hour, Mitch.

In case you're curious as for the reason for the smaller "locatiing" holes in the '56 and older wheels, there is a locating pin on the brake drum that goes through any one of these wheels. When the pin is in the locating hole, then you can istall the lug BOLTS and secure the wheel to the axle/brake drrum.