Torque converter question??

My transmission just went on my 71 Skylark.Im going to buy a new tci th350.What torque converter should I use? The only one I see in jegs for a Buick is a saturday night special w/small bolt pattern and stall speed around 2000. Is this the correct torque converter for my application?Right now the car is basically stock with original highway gears but the rear will be done soon and the motor work maybe next spring. Thanks in advance for any response.

Stick with the stock torque converter. You could probably order one through an auto parts store. If not then talk to a transmission rebuilder, they replace them all the time. A higher stall torque converter is necessary when you have a really big cam (level 3) and high rear end gears (2.73:1) The high stall lets the motor rev a little higher to get into the torque curve so the car can move off the line. High stall torque converters have more slip in them so your mileage will go down. I wouldn't buy a saturday night special torque converter unless I was street racing with a tricked out car.

One of the reasons I ask is because alot of people tell me that it will greatly improve my launch of the line.The car(71 Skylark)is stock accept for performance hei,Q-jet intake and carb,and soon to be TCI streetfighter.I assume the gear ratio is hurting me the most. Instead of higher stall to give me a better launch you think i should buy a stock 350 converter and look into lower gears? 3.42 maybe?

If you need more RPMS to lanch then just put your left foot on the brake and bring the rpm's up a little. I rarely do this because I have trouble with wheelspin, and I think you would have the same problem.

You didn't say how much you drive the car, daily driver short distance, highway all the time etc. First thing would be to add a aux. trans. cooler. (if you don't already run one) stall converter or not. DO NOT BYPASS the one in your radiator, just add the aux. in line. A 2000 stall converter would be a good compromise between performance and milage because it stalls only slightly higher than stock.(you probably wouldn't be able to tell it over a stock converter). If the car is a weekend cruiser that is for "fun" and are planning some upgrades in the future go with a 2800-3000 stall, but NO higher for a street car.(I have a 64 Skylark with a TH350 and a 3000 stall weekend cruiser). At the 3000 level you will notice "slipping" at low speed low RPM and will cost you a mile or two in milage. But if the car is a weekend cruiser then mileage is irrelevant anyway. You have never owned or driven a street car with a converter (since you posted this question) so I would HIGHLY recommend trying to find someone with a similar combination and riding in or drive the car, its not like you would think it would be!! "Fun Factor" is second only to Nitrous.<BR>Dale.