Two questions

Guest billybird

Guest billybird

The car is a 1956 Thunderbird with a 312. Where do the spark plug heat shields fasten. {I'm thinking exhaust manifold bolts?} Also where is the dip stick tube secured. There is a tab on the tube that looks like a bolt secures it somewhere; but where?

On my '56 312, yes the heat shields are on the exhaust manifold bolts, and the oil dip stick is in the middle of the passenger side engine bank, the tab is also secured on an exhaust manifold bolt, between the heat shields for the two pairs of spark plugs. This tab is by itself on the exhaust manifold bolt, not the same as the heat shields.

Guest billybird

mikelj: Thank you so much for your precise answer. That's what I was looking for. It seems I am going to have to do some bending to get the reproduction dipstick tube hooked up. Thanks again.

You're welcome, sorry I couldn't get a picture of it, too tight under there. The repop dipstick tubes are really bad these days. I ordered one for my '68 Shelby for the C6 tranny from NPD, and it wasn't even close to being able to seat in the case and mount the tab up top into the bolt hole on the block, and it wouldn't even clear the heater fan motor either. I had to restore the old one and send it back. It seems they always think you have some hot rod with plenty of room, and with no reason to replicate the original size, shape, and bends. It shouldn't be hard to just duplicate the original, but they can't seem to accomplish that these days in Taiwan or China.

Guest billybird

Amen to those China made parts. Anyway; after some re-engineering {i.e. bending} I was able to get the job done in about 20 min. Thanks again.