50 YEAR FROZEN IN TIME VINTAGE SALVAGE YARD FOR SALE

Guest jeffb

Hello, hope I'm not violating any rules, but has anyone seen or heard about this vintage junkyard on Ebay? It was advertised in Hot Rod, suprised it wasn't in Hemmings' Classic Car; maybe it was in another classic magazine. However, it went on yesterday and it is Ebay item # 160834305029 under the heading "RARE VINTAGE CLASSIC AUTOMOBILE SALVAGE YARD. INVENTORY INCLUDES CARS AND PARTS". The starting bid is $448,000. There are 12 Youtube videos in the listing and about 10 pictures. Thought it would be worth a look, because I only have 440,000 to spend, so I am out!!

How about the aluminum bodied lincoln? I wonder if they will have any bidders, seems high for the quick glance of cars and the condition they're in.

How about the aluminum bodied lincoln? I wonder if they will have any bidders, seems high for the quick glance of cars and the condition they're in.

Yes....seems to be a VERY steep price for a bunch of picked-over hulks. It looks like there are a lot of good parts left, but not worth the asking price. Now, if it was overlooking the coast and had a nice home with it.....maybe.

That's the problem guys have with large collections. Unless you have an onsite auction and sell everything individually or in lots having a company like Vanderbrink? or R&M come in and liquidate everything, it's almost impossible to find someone who has the time, desire and resources to buy such a lot. Then if everything has a resale value of 400,000 you need to sell it for pennies on the dollar to make it worth purchasing.

I buy parts regularly and you have to pay10-25% of the retail value to even make it worth selling the parts if you are buying large lots. Especially stuff that's been picked over. There will be lots of stuff you will never sell and unfortunately probably scrap.

Agreed the asking price is to high. In addition a lease on the land is available for only a 2 year period. Moving all this somewhere else would be a monumental task and with zoning restrictions it would be extremely difficult to find an acceptable location somewhere relatively close. A purchase of this as a whole would be a very poor business decision. In my view the best course of action would be for the present owners to hold an auction to sell what they can. Hate to say it but what does not sell will probably go to the crusher.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)