Sign in to follow this  

ST400??

The two are very similar, but have some important differences.<P>The ST400 features a variable pitch torque converter which means the converter, front pump and a few other internals are not interchangable between ST400 and TH400.<P>The pans are similar, but the ST400 pans have some features stamped into the bottom to work properly with the massive filter they used. If you want to use a TH400 pan on a ST400, make sure you use the TH400 filter and intake tube in the ST400 also.<P>Confusing enough?<P>Devon

What's the difference between an ST400 transmission and a TH400?<P>I've heard that they're basically the same with only minor variations between them.<P>If they are the same, would a transmission oil pan from a TH400 fit on a ST400?

Good point...does this mean the '64 ST400 converter is compatible with the TH350/TH400, or are they still unique for other reasons?<P>Devon

Buick used the name Super Turbine 400 name from 64-68 I believe, while Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac and Chevy used Turbo Hydramatic. Olds and some models of Cadillac also use the Switch Pitch from 1965-67. As I understood it, the names were kept in line with what was known for the models. Buick used Turbine Drive, while P O C used Hydramatic in the 50's and early 60's.<BR>1964 to mid 67 tranny's (P O C from 65 to mid 67) all used the long filter with a matching pan. After mid 67, the filters were changed to the flat design and used a pickup tube and screw to secure the pan. In order to use the later filter, the later pan along with a tapped valve body for the screw must be used.<BR>Beyond the different names, the parts were interchangable and were basically the same trans.<BR>As a side note, what I found out over the years was that the ST400/TH400 was developed by Buick and subsequently used in the other GM models. So, all automatic Chevy's have Buick parts in them...... grin.gif" border="0 <BR>Let's see how the bowtie bunch likes that.. shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>Regards,<BR>Mark<BR>P.S. the 64 converter is the same as the non-switch pitch models. It can be used in the the 350 but is larger and would give less stall. Best swap is to use a 350 unit in a 400 which will give it more stall.<p>[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: dcm422@aol.com ]

EXACTLY the kind of info I was hoping for! Thanks!!<P>Devon

Not only was the ST400 used in the Buick first, the evil step sisters were pretty mifted to have to wait till '65. That is why the '64 Riv only has two speeds showing on the shift indicator. The three speed thing was down played.