Jumping a 6v batt. w/12 volt

Puka

I've rebuilt my 51 Buick Super (model #51). There was an occasional intermitent charging problem (at least the gauge indicated that this was so). Also, the head light switch on the dash wasn't working properly, so I couldn't operate parking lots, and just set it to that it when I operated it the head lights and dash and map lights were on.<P>Everything seemed good for a while. I may've left the lights on, as I recall somehow the parking lights being left on (though I didn't know they were working).<P>At any rate, the car wdn't start when I had parked it for about a half and hour, I jumped it with a 12 volt portable charger, and now I think the whole charging system is kaput.<P>Can a 12v jump harm a 6v charging system?<P>After all these problems I am thinking of replacing the generator with an alternator, converting to 12 v., etc.<P>Thanks for your help. Puka

Guest Mr. Solutions

Hi<P>I too have been forced to face this issue recently, as I had some severe problems starting my '51 Special... so much that the battery was drained. Fortunately my local garage owner still had an old 6V charger system.<P>To compound matters for me, I live in Edmonton, Canada. Not exactly the warmest place in winter. Keep in mind that I intend to drive my car some times in winter.<P>My solution... Well, it may not be the cheapest, but I change very little indeed.<BR>I purchased a 12/6V battery from <A HREF="http://www.antiqueautobattery.com." TARGET=_blank>www.antiqueautobattery.com.</A> I will also be adding a 12V generator in to match. You do not need to get a new starter, as the old starter will handle up to 14V comfortably. (or so I'm told)<P>This has the advantage of retaining my 6V system in the car, but start with 12V, as well as power a nice stereo & run some extra 12V (loose standing) heaters in the car.<P>My thoughts...<BR>Johan

i jump my 6v all the time with 12v connecting the jump 12v battery directly to the starter motor so only the starter gets 12v the ignition still gets 6v from the battery.