hard top weight, wiper repair, dash lights

Guest parkerpug

Guest parkerpug

I'd like to install a lift to remove and store my 1957 T-bird hard top but want to be sure my garage rafters are up to the job. Can anyone tell me how much the hard top weighs?

My wipers do turn on but are very anemic, usually rising but then stopping without going back down. Any diagnosis/repair suggestions?

It appears that none of my dash lights work, although headlights, taillights, blinkers and the high beam indicator do. Again, diagnosis/repair suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Parkerpug

Guest billybird

question #1--i do not know how much a hard top weighs.

question #2--The seals in the wiper motor have probably dried out. A little light oil or brake fluid will usually restore the operation if it is the seals. To achieve this, take a jar with fluid/oil and unplug the line to the wiper motor and put it into the fluid then take another hose and run from fluid to motor start the engine turn on the wipers and it should vacuum a small amount of fluid into the motor and operation should be restored.

question #3-- These cars are notorious for the rheostat going bad in the light switch. Some times moving the knob vigorously from side to side will restore the dash lights if not, a new light switch is in order.

hope this helps

let us know the results

Guest billybird

Oops! forgot something important-I would suggest using a jar with two holes drilled into the top of the lid the size of the hoses you will be using to make it as air tight as possible in order to create vacuum.(concerning the wiper question)

Parkerpug,

The top weighs about 75 pounds. I agree with Billybird's answers to the other questions. I will add that I ended up having to have my wiper motor rebuilt. Sucking the brake fluid in didn't work. I ended up having it rebuilt by "The Wiper Man". He did a very good and I now have wipers that work.

Regards,

Guest parkerpug
Oops! forgot something important-I would suggest using a jar with two holes drilled into the top of the lid the size of the hoses you will be using to make it as air tight as possible in order to create vacuum.(concerning the wiper question)

Thanks forthe detailed advice, Billybird. I'll try your suggestions. Parkerpug