322's, Dual exhaust and 3 speeds ???

According to this, Dual Exhausts could only be ordered on 40-60 and 50 series with Dynaflows only. That prompts me to wonder if that may be due to a conflict between the exhaust pipe and the clutch pedal and rods. Could you take and share a picture of that area of the firewall where I am speaking of to show the relation between the location of the two. I know that the clutch and brake pedals of 56's hang from inside the firewall and the 54-55 come up straight through the floor.

post-31987-143139151407_thumb.jpg

I know that 55's didn't have a hole in the frame to run a true dual exhaust. 56's had an additional hole. You will be having to fabricate a custom exhaust anyway (unless you cut a hole in your frame), to somehow dip under the frame so the fabricator could just as easily avoid linkages, etc I would think.

I know that 55's didn't have a hole in the frame to run a true dual exhaust. 56's had an additional hole. You will be having to fabricate a custom exhaust anyway (unless you cut a hole in your frame), to somehow dip under the frame so the fabricator could just as easily avoid linkages, etc I would think.

I think the biggest problem with running dual exhausts through the frame of a 54 would be if there was power brake master cylinder in the way. Other wise just duplicate the other side more or less. My fear is that the standard 1956 left side exhaust manifold will protrude to far back toward the firewall to allow a long enough bend in the exhaust pipe without hitting the clutch pedal assemblage.

I'm sure I could figure all this out if I just started measuring and drawing but hoping someone has already been down this road and can share their experience here.

"Backwards"??? You could turn that lh manifold up side down and run it around the front of the motor (ala Ford Y-block applications), thermotec wrapped, and then snake the TWO pipes rearward through enlarged frame "holes" to the rear. Then you could stagger the mufflers and have "dual pipes" as many European sports vehicles of that era did, side by side, chrome tipped, at the rear.

That'd fix that pesky clutch linkage clearance issue!

YeeHaaaa!

NTX5467

Hayull son, you don't want power brakes anyway! That little dinky manual unit isn't in the way of squat.

not planning on power brakes or power steering and that's what I'm sayin, no problem once I get past the area of the clutch pedal assemblage. Hopefully Hudini can provide some pictures of his Special with dual exhaust

• 2 years later...

I'll let you know when my 55 Cent 2dr ht with power steering and a column shift and 56 driverside dual ex manifold is assembled. Rotator cuff surgery right shoulder will extend ETA considerably!

• 1 month later...

What would it take to make the clutch linkage "hydraulic" rather than "linkage"???

When the last-gen Roadmaster appeared, it also marked a return to "true dual exhaust", rather than a single exhaust with a "dual outlet muffler" (which LOOKED like dual exhaust at the rear of the car).  The way they got around the oil filter space issue was to design one of the slickest "fixes" around, but something only "the factory" could do.  The "plug" which the oil filter screws onto was offset in the normal oil filter "hole".  This "hole" is the size of the normal (used to be PF35) oil filter, but they used a smaller diameter filter and then moved the screw-on fitting such that the filter was moved as near to the block as they could.  This free-d up nearly 2 inches of space between the engine and the frame rail.  Quite neat and low cost!! 

As for the dual exhaust issue on the earlier "no holes" chassis . . . if the existing y-pipe configuration could be duplicated with 2.25" outlet pipes, then joined with a pre-made collector-reducer, resulting in a single 2.50" pipe going through an enlarged existing (possibly reinforced) chassis clearance hole, then an "incognito dual exhaust" could functionally happen.  I suspect the single 2.50" pipe might flow very close to the desired 2x2.0" pipes anyway.  Then "hide" a '72 Chrysler Imperial muffler under there, with 2.50" inlet and outlet sizes (OEM quiet and still having "Street HEMI" flow, or the shorter OEM Street HEMI muffler itself).  Some of the pipe hanger/mounts might need some massaging for the larger pipe diameter, but if done (executed and finessed) correctly, then hidden ahead of a chrome oval exhaust extension, something that few might notice until they looked at it.  HEHE

For some further "effect", the exhaust manifolds could be extrude honed for greater flow characteristics.  Something unseen, but possibly felt when throttle pedal actuation happens.  (Originally a dirt track racer trick, ala the Brezenski Chevy stock exhaust and intake manifolds, for classes that had to run stock parts, where only exterior appearances mattered).

If the frame rails might not tolerate a full 2.50" hole and still have enough "meat" for support, then some possible flattening of the pipe, to a more oval shape (plus an oval hole in the frame rather than a round one), might be necessary in those areas.  Some mandrel pre-bent pipe stock might be necessary for the rear axle area, too.  Then, when it's finished, cover in a nice coat of black paint!  Or silver in some cases.  Nothing that a good race shop would have any problem doing, or a motivated owner, might do themselves, fwiw

OR, run the two "front pipes" at 2.25" side by side through a widened frame hole, then join them ahead of the muffler, tacked together for support and still end up with the 2.50" pipe going into the muffler.  OR, as I mentioned previously, 2x2.25" pipes with staggered mufflers and two "Euro" side by side pipes at the rear bumper.

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at "The Hot Rod Network" website (think HOT ROD magazine and its related publications).  On about the third page of the tech articles menu pages, there was an article about putting an American Powertrain HydraMaxx hydraulic clutch conversion kit on a Dodge Dart with a 440 4-speed combination in it.  It was not the easiest thing to do, but allowed for the use of non-fenderwell headers, maintain "street-driver" ground clearance for the exhaust system, and keep the 4-speed manual transmission.

My suspicion is that this is more of a "customized" universal-style kit, rather than a pure ready-to-bolt-in situation . . . but many things of this nature tend to be that way, anyway.

Same situation, different vehicle . . . see what you think.  www.americanpowertrain.com 

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)