Need info on 1957 Super Trunk Material

Fred Zwicker

I have a nice 1957 Buick Super with trunk lining currently lined with carpet. The rest of the car is quite original. Does anyone know the correct pattern of the trunk lining material and where to locate? I checked CARS catalog and don't think they list the material for the Super. Also what about the cardboard that goes along the sides? Picture of car attached, but no picture of trunk as yet. I am in hopes that I can locate the correct material and cardboard and show this car at next summer's Buick Nationals. Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred

post-48037-143139149961_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139149965_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139149974_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139149978_thumb.jpg

I have a 57 Super 2 door but it is not at my house currently. I believe it has the original trunk mat; I can send a pic in a couple weeks probably. In the meantime, you can order the cardboard panels from www.musclemaniac.net; I had him make the patterns from mine last year so he can make yours right away. See this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/f162/trunk-panels-liner-57-buick-super-308336.html

Guest 4 bufords

nice looking car fred, are the colors correct for 57 and what are the paint codes? thanks for the cap you passed out in chalotte,4 bufords from ct

Guest Rob McDonald

FRED, Progoofoff has some '57 Roadmaster trunk mat for sale at a discount, over on Buick - Buy/Sell. I wish I could justify buying it but Wifey would hit the roof - "You haven't driven that piece of [stuff] for 20 years and now you're spending hundreds on trunk carpet?!!!". Such a sensible girl.

Someone here is bound to know which series used which pattern. Specials definitely have a different material, with a printed herringbone pattern, that's colour-coordinated with the interior, I think. Roady's all had a grey-beige waffle-woven mat, as shown in Progoofoff's thread. Don't know about Supers.

nice looking car fred, are the colors correct for 57 and what are the paint codes? thanks for the cap you passed out in chalotte,4 bufords from ct

I bought this car from a private owner (who is now deceased) a few years ago and hope that the colors are original, but am not sure of the original paint codes. Attached picture shows the data plate - maybe someone can determine if colors are correct. If not correctly matching the data plate, hope it is at least a possible color combination for a 1957 Buick Super. Also attached are some pictures of the interior and one of the trunk as it is now. I have been out of town the past week, so apologize for the late reply, but will check out the sources mentioned by others, as I always like to have the correct trunk linings and cardboard sides if any. I have the proper sewing machines to handle this and do my own trunks, door panels and carpet, but do not do headliners or convertible tops. I sometimes do some work on seats, but not much.

Thanks to others for their ideas. Fred

post-48037-143139161682_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139161686_thumb.jpg

post-48037-14313916169_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139161694_thumb.jpg

Auto color library lists paint code JH as Kearney Green- Belmont Green, appears to be correct.

Thank you Paul - I guess it should be worth investing in some trunk material once I determine the correct material and color of the side cardboard. Car is at work, so I will take more trunk pictures next week before proceeding.

Fred

Fred: I am starting the rebuild on my Super 2dr HT with interior identical to yours. Mine still has the original trunk liner. I will take photos if you still need them. The side panels are medium green. I am watching closely your results. I will need to duplicate your effort.

Dan

'57 56R

'57 76C

Fred: I am starting the rebuild on my Super 2dr HT with interior identical to yours. Mine still has the original trunk liner. I will take photos if you still need them. The side panels are medium green. I am watching closely your results. I will need to duplicate your effort.

Dan

'57 56R

'57 76C

Thanks Dan - I sent you a PM. Fred

Attached is a picture of my '54 Riviera shown at Charlotte 2012 (1st place Senior with 400 points). Two trunk pictures are also attached, showing the detail in process and after completion. I mouned my fire extinguisher on left side of trunk as shown, which is permissible for judging. More pictures of some of our Buicks can be seen at Home Page

post-48037-143139162428_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139162431_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139162435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fred Zwicker (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

FRED, you may trim my trunk any day! Beautiful work. Progoofoff's current Forum thread on this, concerning '55s, indicates that there isn't much consistency about what material went into which models of Buick. Long ago and before I knew better, I bought a precut set of the printed herrringbone stuff, similar to what came in Specials. Although it's good enough for my car, the woven mat in either chain link or waffle pattern is much nicer. My car was originally equipped with the waffle pattern.

DAN, does your Super have the remains of a woven or printed trunk floor mat?

Chain link... Waffle... Herringbone (available in other colours, I think, depending on interior colour)

post-59990-143139164045_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139164046_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139164298_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

DAN, it is correct for a Special but my Roadmaster came with the waffle woven mat. I still have scraps of it tucked away somewhere. The puzzle is, what sort of trunk mat did '57 Supers come with? Did any of it remain in the Super you're working on?

Rob:

It seems that your blue material is correct for your Roadmaster. This is also the pattern that was in my Special parts car.

Dan

Thanks Dan - The picture on Rob McDonald's post #11 to far left is the exact same pattern used by Buick on 1954 Specials (tan rope pattern, which is correct for the Special in 1954). I was able to purchase this material from CARS for my '54 Special.

The center one looks similar to the trunk lining in my '56 original Roadmaster, but mine appearas to be a larger pattern. A picture of my 1956 Roadmaster very original trunk lining is attached.

The 3rd one to far right looks to be the same as your post #14, other than a slightly different color. In the meantime, I was able to locate a partial roll of trunk material from the previous owner, who purchased this from SMS. Attached are two pctures of that material, which is close to, but not the exact same pattern as pictured in post #11 and post #14. I may check with SMS to see if the original is still available - if not will use what I have.

Fred

post-48037-143139164865_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139164868_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143139164871_thumb.jpg

Guest oldcape1

Attached are photos of what I believe is the original trunk lining material in my 57 Super. I need new material as well as new hardboard but that will have to wait until I have the $$.

Larry Perry

Oldcape1 - That trunk material also appears to be the same as what came in my identically-colored 57 super (pretty sure it's original), but my trunk side boards were something close to body color originally, but were too junky to use. They were good enough to be used as a pattern for new ones though.

Guest Rob McDonald

FRED, I just stumbled over this sample card of various trunk linings. It's on TG75Roadmaster's image gallery but there's no indication of who is the supplier. Send Tom a Personal Message if you're still looking. He'll probably know if all of these materials are still available from one source.

Guest Rob McDonald

TOM, I'm blushing. I assumed that the sample card you posted was from a current supplier. On second look, it's clearly an original Buick publication. You must have one heck of an attic. Happily, this all adds up to a very thorough explanation of how Buick trunks were lined in 1957.

Okay, one of you survivor Century owners out there, please post photos of your trunk mats and linings, so we can close the loop here.