Rechroming Bumpers--need advice please

Foxlovescars

1965 Riviera--Would like to ask if anyone has dealt with Bumper Boyz out of Los Angeles for re-chroming their Riviera bumpers. Was at Corvettes at Carlisle last week and they offer re-chromed front bumpers for:

Front Upper $350 with exchange

Front Lower $320 with exchange

Rear $530 with exchange

Your thoughts please on their service and their pricing. Cannot find a source for the purchase of new bumpers

Thank you,

Frank O'Donnell

Google "bumper boyz" and read some of their reviews.

Here's a link to one of the first ones I came across.

Bumper Boyz Member Reviews

This is the only one I read; don't know what the others might say.

In the latest issue of the Riviea Owners Magazine, one of them members is on his fourth installment of a frame off restoration of a '66 Riviera. In the article he states that he got his plating done "locally." He lives in the Pittsburg, PA area.

Ed

Frank,

Bumper Boyz is an excellent supplier if:

1. You are scraping the bottom on the car budget,

2. Have low expectations on quality and workmanship

3. Plan to sell the car within 6 months of getting your bumpers done.

High quality chrome jobs aren't cheap and for good reason. I'd expect to pay 30-35% more than the price you listed and thats with good straight cores.

I know there are a few folks who got lucky with BB but those are exceptions.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest 63 rivenge

Frank, I just bought a 63 Rear Bumper off a guy in Calf. (Chrome miner) on EBAY........paid $799 with the bumper and license plate surround. Fast service the quality is excellent, he does all types of Buicks, he even gave me $200 for my core. Bumper Boyz I bought the front upper in Spring Carlise for $350 just as you said..........Quality if you match both are night and day. If you find someone local, thats the way to go, but 6 to 8 week wait .......do it over the winter when the car is down.......

Bumper Boyz I bought the front upper in Spring Carlise for $350 just as you said..........Quality if you match both are night and day. If you find someone local, thats the way to go, but 6 to 8 week wait .......do it over the winter when the car is down.......

Some good advice here - less is not always best !!

Well worth the wait, and additional expense, for a quality job, if you can find a local plater.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Pyntre:

There are a couple of Keystone websites for different companies with the same name. Can you give me the correct e-mail address for them?

Thanks,

Frank

These are the folks in Minneapolis that I used . They are Keystone Automotive Industries, Inc. in Minneapolis at 800-328-1845 or local 612-789-1886. www.OrderKeystone.com<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

I have used Tri City Plating in Elizabethton Tenn. for several cars Tricityplating.com - Show quality triple chrome plating with a Lifetime Warranty on all bumpers. and I have also used Keystone and been very pleased with both of them. The one advantage of Tri City is if you are going to one of the major swap meets (Carlisle/ Hershey)you can drop your bumpers off and then pick them up at the next swap meet which saves you shipping in both directions. And, with Tri City you get your bumper back. They list the car shows that they are attending and the dates on their website.

I have read a lot of really bad reviews about Bumper Boyz.

Edited by Don McClair (see edit history)

I was thinking about buying bumpers from them for my Chevelle but something was telling me they might not really be any good. Thanks for the information. I wonder if the bumpers Ausley's and similar vendors selling Chevelle parts are any good, might be the same as Bumper Boyz. I know Paul's Chrome is good as he did my buddies Nomad, just pretty expensive.