mohair upholstery

bigvic

LeBaron Bonney will send you small samples of what they have available on request. Not large enough for any repairs but at least you can get some idea of what is available.

Thanks,

Hello, thanks for the info, I'm aware of those two houses but would like to find the original used fabric. Thanks B.V.

Guest 68buickdude
Hello, thanks for the info, I'm aware of those two houses but would like to find the original used fabric. Thanks B.V.

Hi:

Try SMS auto fabrics. They are a huge supplier of upholstery. They do have NOS remnants. But I don't know if I would want to reupholster my car with a fabric that is already 73 years old. I'd be concerned about the longevity of the aged fabric. However,I requested samples of the mohair fabric by using the data plate in my '39 special and they nailed it. Largest Selection of Cloth, Vinyl & Leather Automobile Upholstery - SMS Auto Fabrics

Best of luck,

Phil Stewart

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm recovering four 1910 English dining chairs, replacing the original wool mohair. Except for the front corners, to which our infernal cat took a liking, the fabric is in amazing condition. Unfortunately for Bigvic, though, it's medium blue-grey. If anyone else needs pieces of this for repairs, maximum 20 inches square, I'll be happy to send it to you for my usual price - a donation to your favourite charity, whatever amount you choose. It's not worth the hassle of sending money across the border, for just postage.

Mohair does last, however it is still made. I had an entire 1920s living room set that I only recovered because it had faded quite a bit to a shade I didn't like but the material was still strong.

i also just had my '39upholstered in mohair and it looks great....may not be an exact shade of grey that was used in 1939 though.

Good luck

Guest Rob McDonald

Mohair is indeed still made and can be found at internet dealers for between $90 and $350 (yikes!) per yard. Real mohair is made with angora wool. The high end stuff is actually part silk, part wool, and is manufactured in the Netherlands. Who knew that anything was still made in Europe, except expensive cars and cheap knockdown furniture?

New old stock stashes of mohair are fairly common. I'm getting my chairs covered in fabric that was woven in the 1930s. As long as it's kept dry and out of the sunlight, it'll probably last forever.

Lew Jenkins is no longer in the business. Hill Jenkins now runs the restoration business. Phone # 336-667-4282. Jenkins Restoration and Interiors, 102 Chestnut St., Suite 101, North Wilksboro, NC 28659-4282. I know they have broadcloth for 32 Buicks, he has a large inventory and most likely has mohair also.

Bob

• 7 months later...
Guest reebok
Hello was wondering if someone's in the process of re-upholstering and have pieces of your original fabric still usable, I'm trying to keep my 28 as original as possible. It's a faded green. Thanks

hi im also re-upholstering a 28 buick it is also a fader green mohair have you found any mohair material any help would be appreciated thank you jack decker 716-674-8889 jackcorvett@gmail.com