INTERESTING 65

Mr Riviera

Now you guys have me worried, is it really that wrong to mix model years. There are things I like about each and I was planning on bringing in a 63 dash to my 65 because I liked the metal look than the cheap black plastic. I dont have the deluxe interior, but was going to do deluxe seat covers and I cant get the non-deluxe door panels. I'm building the car for me and what I find aesthetically pleasing, and I think this is a good example. The guy put together a nice car, and I dont think he's trying to say its a 100% restore.

I'm building the car for me and what I find aesthetically pleasing,.

Go for it; it's your car.

There's a '64 for sale on the Wichita craigslist. Customized by the previous owner to his taste. But, it's now for sale for a fairly hefty price and chances are no one else has this guys taste in cars. Flame paint with zebra interior.

Ed

Well that I can understand but when you keep to the original theme of the car, I dont see why thats a such a bad thing. Factory didnt come with leopard print ;) But if they had a metal dash option during a model year I dont see that being something you can't use in a different year

I do like the 54 Merc tail lights. Need some kind of chrome trim around them, but these do work well with the lines.
got to agree with you there Steelman. The tail lights are probably my biggest styling dislike of the 63/64 Rivieras and the major reason I like the '65 rear bumper so much.

This seller is also expecting a premium price for this mish mash of Riv parts. It looks fairly nice in the photos but I wouldn't pay anywhere near the current starting bid price for it. The paint looks heavy and it appears to be hiding a lot of flaws that aren't apparent as the obvious ones in the photos. I would expect a 100% correct car at that price. I really wonder how much it would appraise as it would be necessary to insure it.

ok, this might sound like a crazy thing to point out, but the photos don't appear to be in Scottsdate AZ. Arizona is sometimes intended to conjure images of a rust free car, but the setting looks like the midwest to me. So, I guess it is possible the car is in AZ, but it might be prudent for a buyer to determine just when it arrived. If the car spent the last 47 years in the midwest and just got to Arizona two weeks ago - well, that would be a different matter altogether.

I like the comment about appraisals. Years ago I read one of the popular Buyer's Guide series of books for Rolls-Royce/Bentley cars. The book addressed appraisal of Bentley's with a Rolls-Royce grille shell; short and sweet "Bentley-No grille shell". I have used that concept ever since in setting my own standards. The appraisal is usually based on an authenticity standard. What makes a '64 Riviera a '64 Riviera?

My '64 is an example. I have Hushpower mufflers and a modified exhaust; 1964 Riviera-No exhaust-deduct $1500. If I decide to sell it I will install the spare stock exhaust to maintain the collectible (not functional) value.

I remember looking at a 1953 Cadillac that was For Sale near me. It had been completely redone with J. C. Whitney type "universal" parts. The weatherstrip, carpets, and the like were all obviously cut off a roll. It was sad to hear the old guy's restoration story.

Bernie

ok, this might sound like a crazy thing to point out, but the photos don't appear to be in Scottsdale AZ. Arizona is sometimes intended to conjure images of a rust free car, but the setting looks like the midwest to me. So, I guess it is possible the car is in AZ, but it might be prudent for a buyer to determine just when it arrived. If the car spent the last 47 years in the midwest and just got to Arizona two weeks ago - well, that would be a different matter altogether.

Agreed, not Arizona pictures. But the camera date on the pictures is from the first part of this month. Just adds to the buyer beware part of this post. Looks to me like someone from Arizona bought this recently as a 65 GS without doing the research and is now trying to unload it on another unsuspecting buyer.

Guest Kingoftheroad
I do like the 54 Merc tail lights. Need some kind of chrome trim around them, but these do work well with the lines.

I agree....

They do give an interesting look to the back of the car..

ok, this might sound like a crazy thing to point out, but the photos don't appear to be in Scottsdate AZ. Arizona is sometimes intended to conjure images of a rust free car, but the setting looks like the midwest to me. So, I guess it is possible the car is in AZ, but it might be prudent for a buyer to determine just when it arrived. If the car spent the last 47 years in the midwest and just got to Arizona two weeks ago - well, that would be a different matter altogether.

This car was advertised for sale on the Buffalo NY craigslist for $8800 about a month ago and it sold. Another ROA member was going to go look at it but decided it had too many questionable issues that weren't being explained. Can't be for certain but pics look very similar from that NY CL ad.

OK Riviera People: This flipper has tipped his hand with the most obvious in your face ominous sign...the multiple year listing heading. I have always found that is a smokescreen for a cheep flipper trying to get more free advertising to get more money for his/her product because they are usually unprofessional and don't know how to make a profit on a regular basis. It happens all the time on Craig's List. I find the only issue here is really not with the car, but the ridiculous asking price. I'm thinking between 5-6 grand and what's the seller asking? Mitch.

New here to the forum, but I've been shopping for a 63-65 for a few months now. I inquired about this car back in June. I emailed for more pics, and got a nastygram back telling me to call the owner. I decided not to pursue it any further. I still have the email. The CL ad read as follows (the pics were exactly the same as in this ebay ad):

[h=2]1965 Buick Riviera[/h]Date: 2012-06-19, 10:05AM

astro blue, blue interior, 425 ci Super Wildcat Engine with factory dual 4 barrel quads, non - matching numbers, good condition , needs some TLC ( 716) xxx-xxxx ....ask for Ed

$ 8500......I am listing for my friend so please don't email me unless you're looking for some additional pictures

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Original URL: http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3087219907.html