Who Has a 73 Ambassador?

Guest BJM

I was allowed to walk the grounds of a Salvage Yard/project car yard today. What a way to enjoy an afternoon.

This place has a row of cars that can be seen from the highway and that's what draws you in. But out back in high grass I spotted a very interesting car which I would like to know more about.

It was a 1973 AMC Ambassador Brougham 2 door hardtop. It was straight with pull out damage to the rear pan under the rear bumper and some rust out in the rear quarters. The interior was a time capsule. Given that it has probably been in this field subjected to heat and cold for several years I have NO IDEA how.

Odometer showed an honest 80,000 miles. Dash pad, all glass, dash interior (faux wood) carpet, seats, headliner all perfect. This was a factory bucket seat console car and all 3 seats were MINT. No evidence of sun fade. Headliner not sagging and best part - $1000. I see no major damage. It was not laden with power options.

I will check the standard catalog but if anyone has had one of these I would love to know your insights. Sorry, I did not take my camera.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a 1973 AMC Ambassador Brougham 2 door hardtop. It was straight with pull out damage to the rear pan under the rear bumper and some rust out in the rear quarters. The interior was a time capsule. Given that it has probably been in this field subjected to heat and cold for several years I have NO IDEA how.

Odometer showed an honest 80,000 miles. Dash pad, all glass, dash interior (faux wood) carpet, seats, headliner all perfect. This was a factory bucket seat console car and all 3 seats were MINT. No evidence of sun fade. Headliner not sagging and best part - $1000. I see no major damage. It was not laden with power options.

I will check the standard catalog but if anyone has had one of these I would love to know your insights. Sorry, I did not take my camera.

AMC made about 5500 Ambassador 2-door hardtops in 1973. The V8 engine could have been a 304, 360 or the 401 cubic inch version. They all use the same block but bore and stroke vary. If you go back, look at the passenger side valve cover for a tag. If there is a Z in the code on the tag, it has the 401, very desirable. Also the VIN number on the dash should I think have an X in it for the 401 in 1973. If you have any more specific 1973 model year questions, I have a copy of the dealer data book and can probably anwer them. If it has one of the big V8s $1000 could be a bargain price. Joe

Thanks Joe. I am mulling it over but to purchase I would want one of my 6 present cars to go and I am not sure about that. I have a limit, if one comes in one has to go. That interior-I wish I had my camera that day. It's like a preserved fossil, perfect. I hate to sound like a snob, but if it would have had a split bench front seat, my interest would have been less. The bucket seat/mini console had to have been a rare option on these Broughams.

But - if the interior was all ragged out there would be NO WAY anyone would want to buy it for $1000. To find it in perfect condition given that it endures summer heat and winter cold year in and year out is amazing to me and worthy of saving.

I am an oddball. I don't collect the status quo, so I could see myself buying it. Just clean the interior, fix some issues on the body and get it running, paint it a deep wine or dark blue metallic to offset that 2 tone tan interior and you know what? add some of the AMC "magnum" factory mags and this car would pop.

Man it would be a nice 70's car for not a lot of money. I get what you are saying about the motors but for me, I could take any of them. I have a 1970 Buick Wildcat with a defacto Stage 1 motor that can scoot, as well as a 73 Buick Centurion with the same hp motor so for me, it's all about the looks and rarity. I am not wowed by the Ambassador grille but the overall shape is quite nice with the reverse slant C pillar and integrated rear bumper.

If the motor was a 401 4 barrel it would be about the same interest to me as the 304. But that's just me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jake,

I think the 1971-1973 Ambassadors are the finest looking full-size cars of any auto maker from those three years. They are not too big, like the full-size GM cars became in those years, and they have a clean, sleek, and upscale appearance with beautifully integrated bumpers, tail lights, exterior door handles, and grilles--yes, I like the grilles. If you will stick your head under the right front side of the car, and look up at the side of the engine block, above the oil pan, below the cylinder head, in big, 2-inch-high, raised numbers (or is it stamped numbers, I can't remember), the cubic inches of the engine will be indicated on the side of the block. The 401, if that's what it is, is worth quite a bit if in good shape, but it is doubtful that it is that engine, as they are so rare. Most Ambassadors had the 360, some had the 304. I have never, never seen bucket seats and a console on a '71, '72, or '73 Ambassador, so I would think it is very, very rare. They are occasionally seen on the two-door hardtop Ambassadors before 1970, but still quite rare.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

1954 Ambassador Country Club 2-dr. hdtp.

Wait a minute - a '73 ambo bucket seat console car, am i reading that correctly? i was not even aware consoles were offered on Ambos after '70, you can bet that car is super rare regardless of what is in it. Any of you others that replied ever seen a console in a 71-73 ambo?

I may be interested as well if any of you guys don't buy the car, but only if it is a 401. most were 360 2 barrel cars, but you never know. heck, could have been special ordered for an exec, for all we know.

would love to see pics if you can get back in there. and there should be a Z in the VIN as well, i believe it is the 7th digit.

Edited by mdh157 (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
Guest Schmitjamie

I think it has the 401, very suitable. Also the VIN variety on the sprint should I think have an X in it for the 401 in 1973. If you have any more particular 1973 design season concerns, I have a duplicate of the supplier information guide and can probably answer them . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .