Heartbreaking

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

My old 53 Super is on ebay right now - it is absolutely heartbreaking how much it went down hill since I owned it until 10 years ago - It was a consistant trophy winner - it is obvious that it has spent much time sitting out in the elements. Why did I have to pick today to look at 53 Buicks for sale on ebay - I would have rather not seen it like this.

Buick : Riviera Special in Buick | eBay Motors

I lost this car in a divorce, it has always been "the one" that got away.

Now that I have looked some more - now it sickens me that someone could have done this to this car.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

KEITH, try to tell yourself that subsequent owners got eight years of daily enjoyment out of your ex-car. If it was a 2004 Buick, it'd be in pretty typical shape. Your angst is partly why I'm hesitating to get serious about selling my MGB locally. I want to get rid of it but I don't want to watch it get run into the ground, either.

Guest my3buicks

This has all happened in the last couple or three years, it sold at Hershey again a few years back - I attached pics of it at Hershey still looking fantastic.

post-30591-143139142887_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143139142892_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143139142896_thumb.jpg

Guest shadetree77

Amazing what a few short years out in the weather will do. My Uncle and Grandfather gifted me a mint condition 1977 T-Bird when I got my license. It had been garaged and covered with quilts it's entire life. It only had 20,000 miles on it. When I got it, I didn't have any kind of cover to park it under. I tried using a car cover for a while but it didn't seem to help much. After only 5 years or so of it being parked outside, it was in rough shape. Vinyl top peeled, paint faded, pinstriping was all but gone, pin hole rust spots began to appear, chrome clouded up. All that happened even with me taking good care of it (conditioning the top, keeping wax on it, etc.). Parking a car outside is destructive. I wonder if these old cars aged that quickly in the weather back when they were new?

Guest my3buicks

If anyone happens on the new owner of the 53 if you have them get in touch with me I can give them a good chunk of the history of the car - up thru me anyhow. The seller did not see fit to pass my info along to the buyer.

Keith, It's no use crying over spilled milk, my friend!

You survived your divorce, and are probably happier for it.

As much as I get attached to these old gems, they are at the whim of whomever owns them at the time.

They are, after all, consumer items!!

The manufacturers want you to use them up and buy a new one, right?

Enjoy the ones you have and chalk it up to experience...

Anyway, perhaps it will be restored again! Hoping, Mike

post-43003-143139149001_thumb.jpgThe guy who just sold it, or is selling it will wonder why it isn't worth as much as what he paid for it? Surprised he isn't set with trying to get all of his money back. These always go up in value no matter how you store them right? (That's what people always tell me) I can show you a little 48 Plymouth ragtop that I aquired that the past owner tried his hardest to deteriorate it in a few years from a restored car to a restorable car. That's the first thing I ask anybody wanting to get into the hobby. Do you have a place to keep the car inside? That should be your first goal. We have all seen way too many cars that were nice until the next owner ruined them.

I added a photo of a 53 Buick ragtop I sold to a friend and is now for sale, that was stored in a wood floor barn until the barn got shakey, then they pulled it outside and covered it with tarps to the ground for a few years, Finally deciding to sell it when it was almost too late.

post-43003-143139148994_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139148999_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I like that 53 Super Conv!!!

Sadly for someone along the way since it's ownership by me, it became worth half as much as i sold it for.

Evan garaged, they can go downhill. Just like us! I think the question is, did the owner enjoy it or did it just sit and decay. If he drove it and enjoyed doing so, outcome is no worse than doing so with a new car. It would be VERY expensive to keep a restored car in an enclosed climate controlled enviroment. And to what end? Just my .02 worth.

Ben

Yes, I too hate to see cars deteriorate, but we had a club member here who never took his restored car out. Another member made an observation that he was 'saving it for the next guy'. What a waste that is too ( if you like to get out and drive like I do). It is true that a car is never as good as the day it rolls out of the shop , finished in new or restored condition. But I also understand that its a shame to see anything worn out in a hurry, due to 'abuse'. We become attached to things and most people like to see them taken care of. In fact I even bought a car because I thought it deserved a better fate than I knew it would have if another guy bought it here. ( save it for restoration vs becoming a parts car).... how dumb is that?

• 2 weeks later...