Sign in to follow this  
Guest BJM

1982-1985 Riviera Convertible Production and Information

One deterent had to be the MSRP on the convertible. Remember, it was built as a coupe for whatever cost it took to build a coupe. Then it was converted.

Here's something I copied and pasted from the Riviera Convertible website.

Consider this, a brand new 1982 Buick Riviera hardtop, a best seller for Buick, cost $14,898.45 base price with freight. Not a cheap car by any standard. The 1982 Buick Riviera Convertible, a new untested car for Buick, cost $24,494.25 base price with freight. Add some options and this car could top out at over $27,500.00.

From close to $15K to 27.5K is an 83% increase over the base price. You'd have to want the wind in your hair awfully bad to fork over that addtional 12.5K.

This generation Riviea was by far the most popular of all Rivieras produced. In the waning years of production for this generation, over 57,800 units were produced in '84 and over 65,300 units were produced in '85. Buick was doingn something right and it showed. To show you how much the public didn't like the 86 and newer cars, only 22, 138 Rivieras were sold in '86, then production dropped to around 15,000 units in 87.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Remember that the Cadillac Eldorado convertible wasn't competing with the Riv in 1982 or 1983. So if ASC had a capacity limitation that probably also played into the reduced number of Riv convertibles in 1984 and 1985 because they had to build the Eldo convertible those years too.

And, buyers that could afford a Riv convertible would probably go for the Cadillac in those years because it wasn't much more money and it was a Cadillac instead of a lowly Buick.

But, I really think that the reason they didn't sell well was the price. Nearly $10K more than a coupe. Convertibles today don't command that kind of premium over their buttoned up sisters.

I don't know how many convertibles were ordered, but I do know I got my deal because Buick was forcing my dealer to take another convertible, and the one they had (mine) wasn't moving. Mine is a 6 cylinder which back then wasn't desired, especially on such a pricey car. I have grown to really like my 4.1 engine. It is only 15 hp shy of the V8 and this Buick built engine has proven to be more dependable than the Olds V8 according to Consumer Reports of that era. It has been absolutely bulletproof for me.

Ed and Merrill have hit the nail on the head. Everyone wanted these converts back in the day but the price was in the stratosphere. I never considered the comparison to the Eldo but I distinctly remember the last converts in this gen stickering for over 30K. That was big money at that time,

Tom Mooney

I was looking at some 1982-85 Riviera convertibles on Craigs List and ebay. Anybody have production on these, espeically 1982 and 1985? Are these collectible for the low production or because they are convertibles, primarily? Does anybody restore them or do members who own them generally just maintain the available nice ones out there and not get involved in the restoration projects?

Please check out this site-

New Page 1

Thanks for that link. Nothing I like more than a car with the top loped off. Somewhere in Pennsylvania there is a red '62 Electra 225 6 window 4 door convert that I did about 20 years ago. I am pretty sure it is a parts car. It was stunning when first converted.

As to the Caddies, here is the one I wish I had kept:

a0004.JPG

For cost, this kid was $30,000+ in 1986:

010s.jpg

The worst problem with color is that people think my Park Ave is a Mercedes!

I think the Park ave uses a lot of left over Riviera components.

Notice the H&E Eldo kept its quarter panel line. I like that style better than the factory ones. And the quarter panel line of the PA is really reshaped. I like that a lot.

112611k.jpg

I am always looking for information on Car Craft Company.

Bernie

If the 82 Riv convertibles didn't come with the frame bracing-it sounds to me like that year should be avoided. Seems to be that if an 82 convert. is sagging now-it will be soon. Any thought on this? Smitty

Guest BJM
Please check out this site-

New Page 1

A huge thanks. That website is awesome and clearly done by someone with passion for the 82-85 Riviera convertibles. In fact, although we live in the digital age, that guy should write a book and include the photos (or photo stills) from the ASC plant manufacture of the convertibles.

I am at work, but will add it to my favorites when I get home on my personal laptop.

I still want to do a Riviera convertible in an alternate color of my choice. I am going to see if Ray will do a wanted ad for the next Riview for me. It would be tough for me to justify doing a basically custom restoration on the limited production 84-85's but those seem like the best years.

Guest BJM
If the 82 Riv convertibles didn't come with the frame bracing-it sounds to me like that year should be avoided. Seems to be that if an 82 convert. is sagging now-it will be soon. Any thought on this? Smitty

If it is a well maintained 82, and you have it, I would brace it now even though in a judging that might cost a point or two. But if you did some bracing now, I think you would be fine.

I think real satisfaction would come from owning a real babied car used for those boulevard rides.

Bernie

Having owned an 84 convertible, red, I can vouch for the benefit of 84/85 having headliner material..very quite with the top up, coupe-like.

So those years also had the better looking, IMHO, waterfall grilles, not the earlier egg crates.

Dale

I think real satisfaction would come from owning a real babied car used for those boulevard rides.

Bernie

Makes you wonder how many takes (cars) it took to get it right. :(

Mine did not have one.  

My father has in 1985. The rear convertible quite burgundy interior needs repair wanted to know about how many more made I was told is under thousand working on it right now to get it running please send me any information you know but the numbers are available was that value might be for car

Good morning I just purchased  a1982 vert....how can I found out what production  number  it is..757 310 4169..I live in Newport news Virginia thanks....also can this body be switched  to a ((GBODY))....frame.

Edited by KEVIN.A.LEDBETTER
Wrong word (see edit history)