1983 Power Seat question

Guest merrillcrosbie

Guest merrillcrosbie

Hi, the driver side power seat in my 1983 Riv convertible has stopped working, but not entirely. I need some help diagnosing what needs to be repaired.

The seat will move forward, but not backward and will move down (tilt) but not up.

When the switch is activated I can hear a click under the seat regardless of the direction I am pushing the switch, but the motor only activates going forward or down.

Since there is a click and the motor will work in one direction, I assume I can rule out fuses. But, is there a relay that I need to check? Are there separate relays for going forward and backward? If it is a relay, where would these relays be located? What do they look like?

Can I assume that since the motor will engage in one direction, it is not the motor?

Could it be a gear problem? I am assuming not because it does not appear to engage the motor at all going backward. Just a click. If it were a gear problem, I would think the motor would try to engage, but it doesn't.

Any ideas on a diagnosis? Thank you!!

Guest merrillcrosbie

Okay, cancel this. It is the switch, not the power seat itself. I noticed that the seat would 'click' when I pushed the switch, but the motor wouldn't activate. That lead me to believe that the switch was okay. But, these switches have two positions, one that 'clicks' and I believe that is to engage the proper gears/direction, and a second further position that then activates the motor.

I swapped the passenger and driver switches and the seat worked perfectly. So, I tore apart the bad switch and cleaned it a little. It didn't look that dirty, but when I reinstalled it, everything works again.

So, my next question to the forum...does anyone know where I can get a 1983 Riviera power seat switch for the driver's seat. It seems like having a spare would be a good idea.

I have one where can i ship it

Okay, cancel this. It is the switch, not the power seat itself. I noticed that the seat would 'click' when I pushed the switch, but the motor wouldn't activate. That lead me to believe that the switch was okay. But, these switches have two positions, one that 'clicks' and I believe that is to engage the proper gears/direction, and a second further position that then activates the motor.

I swapped the passenger and driver switches and the seat worked perfectly. So, I tore apart the bad switch and cleaned it a little. It didn't look that dirty, but when I reinstalled it, everything works again.

So, my next question to the forum...does anyone know where I can get a 1983 Riviera power seat switch for the driver's seat. It seems like having a spare would be a good idea.

Guest merrillcrosbie

The mounting screws are on opposite corners, or kittycorner from each other. They are not centered on each end of the switch. I did notice that when I mounted the passenger switch on the driver side to test the seat, everything worked, but it worked backwards. So I know that there are at least 2 unique switches in each Riviera, but if there are also different mounting screw positions it may be a nightmare to find the right switch.

I have a driver's side seat switch that has the rear mounting tab on the left; the front mounting tab is centered. on the rear tab is a cast number a backwards 9 then 248 some space then a 2. I wonder just how many different versions there are? Anyone need an inexpensive spare? $10 plus shipping.

• 7 years later...