Dave@Moon

Have you driven your classic today?

Drove 2 hrs south to Delaware for a little All-Ford show with two of my truck club buddies. One '62 F100 unibody, my '65 F100 and my friend Wayne's "$500" '66 F100. None are 'show' pieces but were all well received. People just like old trucks. Photos were taken but haven't been posted yet for me to link here. Truck performed flawless as usual but I do need to replace the headlight switch because I have no rear lights when the headlights are on, just brakes. Not suitable for after dark. Terrible quality; only lasted 108,000 miles and 48 years!

Had the same problem with the light switch on my 1962 F-250 30 years ago. It was the wire that ran down the drivers side frame. Had a bad spot under the cab. Dandy Dave!

I drove my gnarly '69 Bug over to the Guilford Fairgrounds in Guilford, CT, to participate in the VW-class, within the bit "Time Machines 2013" antique auto show & flea market, yesterday, Sunday, July 28th, 2013, ref: TimeMach

I think you can see my scruffy Convertible Bug near the center of this shot, which features many of the very beautiful show-quality old-VWs that participated:

post-34222-143142114371_thumb.jpg

I think the overall attendance of the event was down a bit, due to various rain that was in the weatherman's forecast, but in the end, only a few minor sprinkles near the end of the day (which I think caused the organizers to push up the awards ceremony by about a half hour or so).

All in all, a great day in Guilford!

Boy did we drive! Went to the Buick Nationals. Drove our 1937 Buick 1,553 miles round trip from Chambersburg Pa. to South Bend Indiana and back. The photo is of our car and fellow BCA member David Balfarb's 1928 model 25 that he drove from Washington D.C. David recieved the long distance award. [ATTACH=CONFIG]205805[/ATTACH]

Boy did we drive! Went to the Buick Nationals. Drove our 1937 Buick 1,553 miles round trip from Chambersburg Pa. to South Bend Indiana and back. The photo is of our car and fellow BCA member David Balfarb's 1928 model 25 that he drove from Washington D.C. David recieved the long distance award. [ATTACH=CONFIG]205805[/ATTACH]

That's some RIGHTEOUS old car mileage, Larry, wow! My hat is off to you!

As I am a recently-new BCA member myself, I've been doing my best to try and capture Buicks when I see them at car shows, and there were a few very nice ones at the Guilford, CT "Time Machines" event yesterday. I will probably eventually be adding several of my Buick shots to the Buick picture thread over in the Buick section, once I extract more of them from the camera and find the time to label and upload:

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/i-just-love-picture-buick-339973.html

Keep those Buicks rolling!

Over and out for now!

I need to ship a Stanley part for repair. Hey, that's a legitimate excuse to go to the post office in an old car, right? So I take the '13 T. I'm pulling out into an intersection, and here comes a '14 T; he'd come about 15 miles. We got into formation and I took him to yet another T guy's house, and introduced them. We kicked tires for about a half hour, all impromptu. Fun!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I went to a car show in Boothbay Harbor, Maine (67 miles from me) a week ago Sunday so my '72 LTD was behind my '13 Taurus in the garage all week. As a result, I used it last week for errands and such instead of swapping the cars around. My garage is 22 x 40 so my two older cars reside in front of our regular cars.

Drove the Thing to work, met a MG didnt even get a wave from the MG owner. Oh well. I love to see another old car rolling.

Crosley 51; Just saying hello. I know one other Crosley owner that has a VW Thing. He lives in CT. Is that you??

East TN here. I joined the Crosley Club a couple years ago. Maybe Ill make it the Crosley National show one year.

Troy

So....

Had Company from Hamburg, Germany here and surprised him with a ride in the Whippet (which he had never heard of before).

post-36036-143142120046_thumb.jpg

And.... off we went.

post-36036-143142120051_thumb.jpg

Cruised right along (ha ha).

post-36036-143142120055_thumb.jpg

ALL AND ALL, JUST A GREAT DAY !!!!

post-36036-14314212006_thumb.jpg

After lunch I took my car to work in the afternoon and then went on a spin after work. Had to get in a ride before the rain comes.

post-75225-143142122326_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's one heckuva cool photo!

Keep on cruisin'!!!

Ya, it kind of captured the moment!

Especially when you take into consideration this is what it started out like some 40 plus years ago.....

post-36036-143142122647_thumb.jpg

I've been to busy, spent my drive time working on my cars instead or was rained out almost every time I had the chance to drive one of my cars this summer. Today was an exception. I finally got the 60 Vette out today. A friend stopped by that raced for years and helped me fine tune the ignition and get the Fuel injection right on. It was pretty close to begin with. Then we went for an 8 mile ride to test it out. It's the first time I have really driven it since it arrived in December. It runs really well. It's really smooth on the road as well. It actually seems to drive as well as my 57 Tbird that I sold a couple of years ago. I was surprised. I like the overall feel better than the 68 390 427 Vette I had a few years ago. I'm actually 6' 1" and it's better than I thought it was going to be for comfort and actual space. My friend had a little more trouble getting in the passenger seat though. He's a bigger guy though than me. I have a small frame. Good thing as I wouldn't fit behind the wheel or manage the clutch pedal. Now I just have to get used to driving it. Quite a bit different then the 48 Plymouth.

I actually was able to sneak that out last week for an 8 mile jaunt as well. I can drive to my shop 2 different ways so I take the long way when I get the chance. I did a valve job and pretty much everything under the hood on the plymouth late this spring. Took the top rams out and got those working, rebushed them, restored the heater assembly and just got a nice set of repro hubcaps for it. I think I have collectively put less than 40 miles on my cars this year. I need to start driving them. Having to watch the kids in the evening kind of puts a limit on the time that it's nice to beable to take one for a spin.

post-43003-143142124037_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142124018_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142124025_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314212403_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142124032_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142124035_thumb.jpg

Got a call from a neighbor whose college classmate was visiting from San Francisco. The friend is a car guy with a Triumph Spitfire and an MGB. He wanted to see my stash. So I gave the two men and the neighbor's two little kids a ride in the '12 Buick. Then I taught the visitor to drive the Model T. Then he and I went for a chug in the one-lung Cadillac. I don't think his feet have touched the ground since!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

After supper tonight, my son and I took the '41 Roadmaster out for a drive then a nice walk along the beach, and drove home. About 10-12 miles round trip.

Keith

It was Daddy daycare night (Wife working a night shift) and I have Monday off so what am I to do?

post-62521-143142136459_thumb.jpg

Yup........took the '25 Dodge and 4 passengers to "Drive Your Tractor to Church" today at our sister congregation: Drive Your Tractor to Church - Faith/New Hope Joint Parish .......the Dodge is down the page a bit.

It's about 11 miles from here to there.

I took numerous back roads on the way home........nice day for a leisurely drive....... :) .......oh........"A good time was had by all"....... :cool:

A nice end of a Sunday that was mostly mundane chores, when Mrs. Stock Steve wanted to go for a little pleasure drive in her '63 VW Karmann Ghia along the local Connecticut shoreline.

First to stop for some fresh native corn at the local farm stand in Stony Creek:

post-34222-143142136793_thumb.jpg

Next to gas up a bit in Guilford:

post-34222-143142136806_thumb.jpg

A beautiful salt marsh photo op spot at the western end of Madison:

post-34222-143142136816_thumb.jpg

One more photo op spot by a salt marsh and tidal river in Westbrook, where the low-angle setting sun made for even richer colors:

post-34222-143142136825_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142136837_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314213685_thumb.jpg

Summer afternoons don't get much nicer!

Drove our 1937 Buick to our local Cadillac LaSalle Club picnic on Saturday. 125 miles round trip. The wife drove it up and I drove it back.

Sunday decided at the last minute to drive out to a local Gas & Steam Engine event who asked for old cars in the hopes of increasing the attendance at their annual show. Being that it is about 15 miles outside the city, the car seems to be performing better each time I take it out, filled the tank and off I went using mostly back roads.

post-36036-143142137697_thumb.jpg

The Whippet was the oldest car there other than 1 Model T tractor conversion unit. The displays were fantastic and loved watching the steam tractor running the Saw Mill cutting a long 36 diameter soft wood log.

post-36036-143142137704_thumb.jpg

The trip home was uneventful, the few vehicles I encountered behaved respectfully while I poked along and decided to wash her up before parking in the garage.

post-36036-143142137764_thumb.jpg

Then..... hmmmm.... one slow turn of the starter and nothing. Pulled the floor boards, checked the battery connections and still nothing. Had to push her in the garage and put the battery charger on as it was getting close to dinner. Might just be time for a new battery??

Not since August 4, the car is down with a cooked trans. I am really missing it. I was driving my antique car nearly every single day.

More than 20 years ago my wife and I, and four of our joint five kids, flew gliders from Ridge Soaring Gliderport in central Pennsylvania. Many world records were set there (not by any of us!) The woman of the team who ran (and still runs) the place, Doris Grove, was the first woman in the world to fly 1000 kilometers (500 out and 500 back) non-stop in a glider.

Yesterday was Doris's 80th birthday, and there was a massive celebration at the gliderport. Joan and I, and my daughter Verity (one of the students, whom Doris sent solo at age 15) and HER daughter, went to the party. I took the 1912 Buick and gave rides up and down the runway (always checking for, and yielding to, for aircraft) all afternoon. Lots of fun and nostalgia. It was good to talk aircraft again.