72 455 Cam Recommendations Needed

Well you pretty much answered your own question. If you want stock and no surprises then go with the stock cam. If you change the cam you will have to retune the carburator. Quadrajets are precision carburators, and changing the cam would mean you would have to completely retune the carb. <BR> Of course if you are putting it on a dyno then why not get a bigger cam and tune it up on the dyno.<BR> The BCA, TA performance, Poston and a few main stream companies make Buick cams. I have a Crower level 2 cam in my 71. It gave me a lot more power and better throttle response through the whole RPM range. Of course I rebuilt it because the old engine was tired, so I don't know how much difference a stock rebuild would have made. I ended up getting rid of my quadrajet because it had a mean off-idle bough that I couldn't cure. (Thats what I mean about surprises!)

For the 72 Riv there where two camshafts: the standard 455 camshaft and the Riv GS camshaft. <P>Is your engine a Riv GS engine or a standard 455?<P>If it's a Riv GS, I wouldn't use any thing bigger than the Riv GS camshaft on a stock low compression rebuild. Might be moot, as I don't think you can even find a NOS Riv GS camshaft anymore. In that case I would go with the TA's 112 camshaft.<P>If it's not a Riv GS, then you'll also have to deal the the doggy low 2.93:1 rear end gears, which more often than not are non-posi. Take this into account when you choose your camshaft.<p>[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Straycat ]

The purpose of my inquiry is to find out if any of the fellow Buick owners have experience using any cams on a stock 72 455 other than the factory cam. I am not planning to race this car, I just want to find out if any cams other than the stock Buick 455 cam offer any advantages. Thanks.

I put a TA-112 cam in my 73 Riv GS and it worked fine! The GS was a cosmetic option in 73 and you had to order the Stage -1 option to get the big cam .I also changed from 72 to 73 jets and installed a 350 distributor. The 350 had an advance curve almost identical to the 70 Stage 1 and it made the car much better. The performance and mileage both went up considerably. smile.gif" border="0

Like these guys have attested modern cams are much better than old cams as far as efficency. They offer better top-end power and a smoother idle. Computer technology is the reason. A mild "level one" cam may be a good choice for what you want.<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riv

I just went through this exercise as I am finalizing the rebuild on a fairly stock 70 455 to go in my 67 Skylark. I chose the TA 212. Suposed to have a decent idle w/ 20-25+ hp over stock. The only other mods I plan to make are: 800 CFM Quadra jet,dual exhaust w/ quiet mufflers and a 2400 stall convertor. I am considering an Edelbrock intake but I hear the performance gains may not be that great on a basically stock motor. Not sure if its worth the $ at this point. (Unless someone has a used one they want to unload!) This should be plenty for this car. I plan to keep everthing as stock looking as possible but want the car to rip when I smash the pedal. Definately call TA Performance to discuss your options