Who has their hardtop off!?

Guest Jim_McNally

Both of mine have been off for over a year - I garage them in the winter. I bought them to drive with the top down, and it just doesn't feel right any other way...

Jim

Guest My TC Toy

We finally got a good spring and summer. I think it was the first in 30 years. Anyway I took my hardtop off in April and have not put it back on. I keep the car garaged at all times with a half cover at times. When the weather turns cool, but still sunny, I will put the hardtop back on and enjoy the car a little more.

Guest LIT MUSE

When you drive this car in Seattle with the top down you are definitely getting a look and a smile. Some say it doesn't fit the place. I'll tell you it's the best 50 min drive home after work. Top down every day its possible :)

Took the top off mid April, and have enjoyed many awesome Northern Michigan drives. Going to a car show in September, I think I will put the top on for the show this year. Im sure I will take it back off for a bit. Love to night drive in October with the cold wind and the heater blowin. Then wait for the first snow to fall and top back on and in to storage for 5-6 months of winter.

Guest hditkof

Took mine off the day it arrived in California from New Jersey. May 1999. I don't drive it during the rainy season (Dec to March).

Howie

Guest My TC Toy

Sheech, 'the rainy season (Dec to March), I wish. Here we will get up to 8 - 10 feet of hard rain, called snow, piled around the house. I guess I am just jealous!

Guest george w

I bought mine in 2001 and have never had the hardtop on since I brought it home. I hear it's not good to leave the soft top down due to shrinkage. Has anyone had their top shrink excessively ? I have the vinyl tan colored top. I wonder if the black canvas material holds up better or worse than the tan. My top shows some shrinkage but overall is pretty good. I always put the top up after driving with it down. On the other hand my headliner has shruken enough that it will no longer mate well with the Velcro on the mechanism and keeps pulling away. I assume there's no fix for this iisue short of a new, custom made headliner.

Guest My TC Toy

The top material used on the TC's is Haartz. It is a three ply premium material. Most manufacturers today still use this material in their better cars. I believe it is fairly normal for the material to shrink slightly over time, after all we are looking at over 20 years. I have never heard of a case where the top could not close because of shrinkage. It is probably a little better tight than loose and looking sloppy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 89MaserTC

Mt 16v TC was in storage for 12 years , I took the top off a few weeks ago started to put the soft top up it has shrunk and hardened to the point it split and tore in about 6 places before I lifted it a foot , it is completely shot, it is the tan vinyl, my 8v car has the black cloth, it was also down for a couple years , (always garaged ,top down ), it is still just fine . when I replace the top on my wife's Miata it will definitely be with cloth, NOT vinyl!!