65 AFB Rebuild vs New Edelbrock? Suggestions?

Guest 1965cat

I Have recently completed a complete rebuild on a stock 65 401, including trans (stock). The only item that is not new or rebuilt is my Carter AFB 3921S... and it is giving me problems... I have tried to rebuild it myself and it appears someone else has been inside and I can't tell if it's original or been hopped up... Should I send it out to be rebuilt or purchase an Edelbrock (I understand they are the same as the AFB's?? If I should purchase an Edelbrock, which model? If I can send my existing one to be rebuilt correctly, where? Remeber, this is a stock application.<P>Thanks,<P>Mark<BR>BCA #372362

The Edelbrocks are not the same as the Carter AFB's.<P>I relaced the Carter AFB on my 340-4 with an Edelbrock Performer 1406 600 cfm carb.<P>I love the Perfomer, but the linkages and fuel connection were very different and required considerable fabrication and a 1" carb spacer. Also, the air cleaner wouldn't fit and I had to buy an aftermarket one.<P>There may be an easy way out. Edelbrock has the license rights to the Carter AFB and is making new ones, that I understand are little changed from the originals. These are advertised as Carter AFB carbs, not as Edelbrocks.<P>You should check these out if you want a bolt-on replacement.<p>[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: YellowLark ]

The 340 and to my recall the 401 used the AVS not AFB Carter. they have smaller air horns thus the aftermarket air cleaner. The internal workings are very similar. I would like to see if we can help you figure out your stock one before you jump into a $275.00 fix. why did you rebuild the engine, did this problem start before the engine rebuild, did you run the new engine with the old carb before rebuilding it, what is it doing or not doing that has you frustrated. Lets see if we can find the problem not through parts at it. JIM

Jim, I would prefer not to spend money on a new carb if I did not have to. I threw the post out there to see if it was a recommended solution in the past. Also, the only "rebuild" this carb has seen is a new kit installed...I do not now if that qualifies as a "Rebuild"... Please see my other post titled:<BR><B>401 tuning - new rebuild - questions? Help?</B> in this same forum. It has a detailed history of what I have tried. You can see my last post there and what I will try this evening... Please try to post any suggestions there as I will post my results there..<P>Thanks,<P>Mark

I put a eldebrock on my rebuilt 401. It has an electric choke that works great. It has a different size throat so I needed a little adapter to use my stock air filter. I am not getting good mileage and I think the jets in the carb are too big so I plan on trying some smaller ones. <P>so except for the gas mileage question I love the carb.