Need help

Guest Hans Ryser

Guest Hans Ryser

Hello all, I need some help to identify a car I have had for years, but is in rough shape with many parts including badges missing. It is a 1933 Mercedes 4-door convertible, the documentation says it was purchased in Germany in 1953, also states it is a 600 with a body by Vanden Plas, model number or serial number 93206. However on the internet I cannot find a model 600 or a Mercedes with a body by Vanden Plas so I am greatly confused. I will update this with pictures this posting until then any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Hans<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hi, we have a very active member here named A J and I am sure he will respond to your questions. If possible, post a few photos. You don't have to reveal where the car is, but the fourm members like to see the rare iron when possible. Good luck, Ed.

The only prewar "600" that comes to mind is the 1940 v12 prototypes. Registrations sometimes have odd model numbers as the owners could mistakenly put anything down. These days those documents have to be filled out with more precision.

Some pictures would probably clear the mystery up. MB had a dizzying array of models in the 1930s so it could be almost anything. A Vander Plas body would certainly be a rarity as there were few coachbuilt MB given the excellence of the factory offerings. Plus I don't know if I have ever seen a MB with a body from that particular coach builder.

• 1 month later...

I came across the photo of what is claimed to be a Vanden Plas body on a 540K. https://secure.flickr.com/photos/zappadong/7650718526/

The caption states, "Techno Classica Essen 2012 - Unique Vanden Plas body" so, being so recently displayed, you can probably find more info on this particular car or contact it's owners with a bit of research.

post-83411-143139179059_thumb.png

Edited by MarrsCars
embedded image (see edit history)