Oil Pres. problem

I hope this is short...As most everyone on here knows I have had more $%^*)*(_ with my engine than anything ever....Its pretty quiet and smooth, vacuum pump is not putting out enough to work wipers(just found out...motor is good) Since this suckers re-re-resurrection I have had an oil pressure problem regardless of hot/cold,R's turning,driving,parked....it is pegged to the max. bearing clearances are good...been through that headache one too many times...good old book say O/P should be 35 lbs@35mph....what kind of a crock is that...I got an oil leak somewhere in the RR of the motor...checked oil pres. gauge line...good there, leak is from higher up and dist. is clean and dry. I went on a vacation for a month and lost about 1/2 quart just sitting. <BR> I THINK I got 20/50 in it...don't recall...been a while. Would like 10/30 bring my O/P back to normal??? <BR> If that doesnt work, I wanna put a REAL gauge on it...with numbers no less...and see just how ballooned the O/P is....I know that having too high of pres. can be almost as bad as too little....PLEASE ADVISE as I am almost at the point of pushing big beast off cliff and following it....<P> Drop me an E @ dlw29@hotmail....<P><BR> Thanks as always, don55<P> For those who don't already know the car, it's a 55 66R 322/DF

Hi Don<BR>Quit worrying about the small stuff. First on the oil pressure all of mine run pegged when cold idling or high speed and run pegged hot at high speed. When hot (20 miles) and idling the needle is in the center or slighty below...this is on 20-50. A new tight motor will run high. But you really need to put a known good guage on it to be sure.<BR>Second on the oil leak on the right side...check oil filter mount, oil pressure sending line...also if the rear main leaks it slings oil to the right side.<BR>Third remember if a Buick doesn't leak some oil it is empty!<BR>Willie

Thanks Willie, I needed a good laugh!!!!! I FINALLY got a hold of my Dad(he been racing). He said I may have a lame gauge as when I initially fired it off umpteen months ago the gauge didn't move until running then went to the max. I went throgh my receipts, all I could find is receipts for a couple cases of 10/30. Changed oil today, looks good filter and can has some of the ancient gray sooty like stuff on the metal...wipes right off, no biggy. I have also been advised to put a regular gauge on it which I am gonna try to scout one out tomorrow to see whats the actual number at different speeds if any difference at all. Book says 35 lbs @ 35 mph...whats the rpm @ 35 mph though...weird...<BR> As to leaking being a prerequisite, the motor was tight as a drum before disassembly...backside was real clean too....I HATE leaks of any kind...I am putting 10/30 in it....<P><BR> Thanks Willie!!! don55

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally ran it last night after the oil change..10/30, and no change, but I got the idle up a wee bit and notice that when I pull hard back on the pedal the gauge backs off ever so slightly, but The shop manual says 35psi2 35mph which would be plenty of R's to keep it pegged. Am still hunting for a modern gauge to plug in to see what it says, cant find one with the right type of fitting to go into the fitting at the rear of the block. I wont mess with the fitting that goes into the block itself as its tightly packed in there plus the new gauge that I hook up is only for a test to see what it says be it high or normal. <BR> If after I get it plumbed in and find the O/P to be high....what to do...the only thing I can think of would be to shove the oil pump up a certain somebodies backside as this is where the pres. relief valve is. and running it with a ton of O/P will wash out a bunch of critical things...rings namely for starters.<BR> Would someone out there with a parts car happen to have an oil gauge line so I could run one under the hood and tie it into a modern gauge??? <P> Thanks, don55

If your oil pressure is allways pegged even with 10-30 a bad guage or sender is the most likely (it sounds from your posts that you have basically come to that conclusion).<P>All oil pressure senders I have ever seen use pipe threads where they screw in to the block or whatever, is yours different?<P>If not then buy a universal aftermarket MECHANICAL oil pressure gauge and see if you have a problem or not. After that you will probably be left with 3 options: bad oil press sender. Bad oil press gauge or faulty press. relief valve in oil pump.